Everyone knows about The Weather Channel for its weather forecasts and weather-centric news and analysis. This American pay-TV channel from Weather Group LLC attracted over an average of 160,000 prime time viewers in the second quarter of 2020, ranking it 58th among all the cable channels broadcasted in the United States.
Like most other American pay-TV channels, The Weather Channel also has its TV Everywhere app with the same name. For some people, tuning in to The Weather Channel in the morning is sort of a daily routine, and that’s something you can do now directly from your Fire TV device.
The Weather Channel is officially available in the Amazon Appstore, and you can follow this guide to install and activate The Weather Channel on Firestick.
- 1 What does The Weather Channel App offer on Firestick?
- 2 How to Install The Weather Channel on Firestick
- 3 A Quick Overview of The Weather Channel on Firestick
- 4 How to Watch The Weather Channel Without Cable
- 5 Final Words
What does The Weather Channel App offer on Firestick?
The Weather Channel app on Firestick gives you access to the 24/7 TWC stream on your Firestick when logged in with a pay-TV provider account. Based on your location, the app will keep you updated with hourly, daily, and weekly weather forecasts, as well as notify you with severe weather alerts for your area.
You can search for new locations and manually set a default location for weather forecast updates. The Weather Channel app also lets you watch clips of on-site weather updates from your favorite meteorologists, including Stephanie Abrams, Jim Cantore, Tevin Wooten, Mike Bettes, Kelly Cass, Alex Wilson, Reynolds Wolf, and many more.
The Weather Channel app on Firestick also supports closed captioning, just in case you need it. The live channel stream and news clips max out at 1080p.
How to Install The Weather Channel on Firestick
You can download The Weather Channel app on Firestick from the Amazon Appstore. If you are not familiar with installing apps on your Fire TV device, please follow the steps below to get The Weather Channel app.
- On the top-left side of the Fire TV home screen, highlight and select the Search (magnifying glass) option to open the search menu.
- Type “The Weather Channel” using the on-screen keyboard in the search menu. You can also press and hold the Voice button on your Fire TV Remote and search for the app by saying its name.
- Select The Weather Channel from the search results that appear in the bottom part of the search menu.
- On the following page, highlight and click The Weather Channel app logo under Apps & Games.
- Click Get on the app’s download page. It should begin downloading in a few seconds and take less than a minute to install.
Once The Weather Channel app is installed on your Firestick, click Open to launch it. Later, you can access the app from Your Apps & Channels on the Fire TV home screen.
Alternatively, hold the Home button on your Fire TV Remote and click Apps to access the complete list of apps, where you should be able to find The Weather Channel app, presumably at the bottom of the list.
Activate The Weather Channel on Firestick
The Weather Channel app on Fire TV devices is a TV Everywhere service. Hence, you will have to log in with your television provider to activate the app. Otherwise, you will be limited to only ten minutes of preview for the 24/7 live channel.
- First, launch The Weather Channel app on Firestick.
- Next, go to the Settings tab from the navigation section of the app, then click the Sign In An activation code should appear on the screen.
- Now visit weathergroup.com/activate-device from another browser tab on your PC or mobile device, then search and select your TV provider from the list.
- Enter the activation code in the empty field and click Activate. You will be redirected to your provider’s login website, where you need to enter your account details and finalize the activation process.
Once you go through the process, you will be signed in to The Weather Channel app on Firestick.
A Quick Overview of The Weather Channel on Firestick
The Weather Channel app on Firestick has a minimal user interface, with only three main sections: Live, My Weather, and Settings. You can access the 24/7 TWC feed and watch clips of recent weather updates from the Live section.
In the My Weather section, you will see the current weather in your area, as well as a weekly view of weather forecasts. A radar-view can also be accessed from here, and you can expand it for a better look. Furthermore, you can select a day from the weekly view to get an extended look at hourly forecasts.
From Settings, you can manually select your Location by entering the name of the city or zip code. You can also toggle on closed captioning from the CC option, and Sign Out of The Weather Channel app.
How to Watch The Weather Channel Without Cable
The Weather Channel app isn’t a viable option for cord-cutters, as it requires users to log in with television providers. Despite that, Fire TV users can still watch The Weather Channel on their devices with a few live TV streaming services, which we have listed below.
You can watch The Weather Channel on fuboTV with the $64.99 monthly Family plan, and get local weather updates from NBC, FOX, and CBS channels. The $84.99 Ultra plan also has TWC, albeit offering a broader lineup of channels. Both plans include 50 hours of cloud DVR space and three simultaneous streams.
AT&T TV NOW
The Weather Channel on AT&T TV NOW is available with the Choice ($110/mo, 85+ channels), XTRA ($124/mo, 105+ channels), Ultimate ($135/mo, 125+ channels), and Premier ($183/mo, 140+ channels) plans. You also get 500 hours of cloud DVR storage and three concurrent streams.
frndlyTV is your cheapest live TV option for watching The Weather Channel, with plans starting from only $5.99/month. It has 14+ other channels like Hallmark, UPtv, Game Show Network, CuriosityStream, PixL, etc. You also get up to four screens and unlimited DVR recording with the $9.99 Premium
By installing The Weather Channel app on your Firestick, you can stay updated with the latest weather forecasts throughout the country. If you don’t have a cable subscription, then you can pay for AT&T TV NOW, fuboTV, or frndlyTV to watch TWC on your television.
Unlike other TV Everywhere apps, you can’t sign in to The Weather Channel app with your OTT live TV subscriptions from the following cord-cutting services.
You can install The Weather Channel app on your Gen 1/Gen 2 Fire TV Cube, Fire TV (Gen 3 Pendant), and Fire TV Edition Smart TVs/Soundbars.