In this article, we will outline detailed directions to Install Sky Go on FireStick and other Fire TV devices.
TV Everywhere services are quite popular in the North American countries, mostly in the United States so that major television networks can retain its userbase and stay in the live and on-demand video streaming business.
Over 60+ American channels have their own TV Everywhere apps, requiring users to log in with their cable or satellite pay-TV provider account.
Despite the fact that streaming services are seeing rapid growth in Europe, there aren’t many European live TV streaming solutions, to begin with. The sky is the largest pay-TV provider in the United Kingdom, followed by BT and Virgin Media.
BT does have its TV Everywhere service named BT TV, and so does Sky, which is called Sky Go. These are two of the only big names in Europe, falling short behind the offerings of American TV Everywhere services.
If you have a Sky TV connection, then you can try out its Sky Go service to watch live TV channels, along with on-demand content included in your Sky package over an internet connection. Whether it supports the Amazon Fire TV platform or not, now that’s a whole different story. If you own firestick then can learn more about How to Install Sky Go on Firestick by continuing to read this article.
What does Sky Go offer?
Operated by the Sky Group, Sky Go is a British TV Everywhere service for Sky TV subscribers that offers 70+ live TV channels and a massive collection of 1000+ on-demand movies and TV shows from partner networks.
Based on your Sky TV package, you can watch not only free-to-air networks (e.g., ITV, Channel 4, BBC One) but also Sky’s premium lineup of channels, including Sky Atlantic, Sky One, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema, Sky Nature, Sky Documentaries, Sky Crime, Sky Comedy, and many more. The service also offers catch-ups for a limited time from various networks, including BBC iPlayer, Comedy Central, MTV, FOX, Gold, Discovery, Eurosport, E!, SYFY, etc.
Sky Go’s on-demand library is what you should look out for. Popular TV shows, such as Boardwalk Empire, True Detective, Emmerdale, Marvel’s Agent Carter, Penny Dreadful, Alexander and the Horrible, Gangs of London, Save Me Too, Bulletproof 2, Perry Mason, Teen Mom UK, Avenue 5, The Wire, and many more are listed in Sky Go’s vast streaming catalog.
With a Sky Cinema subscription, you also get access to a sizeable list of latest blockbuster movies-on-demand. Sky’s original documentaries are also available to stream on Sky Go.
Sky Go delivers high-definition streams with adaptive streaming technology so that users can have a buffering-free streaming experience on limited network bandwidth. It applies to both live channels and on-demand content. For select on-demand streams, you also get the option to enable closed captions in Sky Go.
As previously mentioned, Sky Go is exclusively available for Sky TV subscribers, without any sort of additional fees. Similar to other TV Everywhere apps, Sky Go is a complementary app for existing Sky TV users only.
If you want to use Sky Go on more than one device at a time, then you can select to pay £5 extra for the Sky Go Extra add-on.
It gives you not only two simultaneous streams but also the option to download on-demand movies and shows for watching without an active internet connection on mobile devices.
Features of Sky Go
- You can watch over 70 live TV channels and 1000+ on-demand movies, shows, and documentaries based on your Sky TV subscription.
- With Sky Go, you can remotely access your DVR library from your Sky set-top box (only for Sky Q customers).
- Sky Go does have an autoplay feature, providing an uninterrupted binge-watching experience to the users.
- With Sky Go Extra add-on, the Sky Go app lets you stream on up to two devices at the same time, as well as gives you the download feature for offline viewing.
- Existing Sky TV users won’t have to pay for a separate subscription fee in order to access the live and on-demand content on Sky Go.
Can you Install Sky Go on Firestick?
Sky Go is available for a handful of devices, including Android/iOS smartphones and tablets, Windows and Mac PCs, plus PlayStation 4 and Xbox One gaming consoles. Although Sky Go supports Amazon Fire tablets, it is not available for Fire TV devices yet.
Upon sideloading the mobile Sky Go app on Firestick, we found out that it doesn’t work properly anymore, which is something most other guides on the web have failed to specify.
Sky Go is available in the Amazon Appstore, but only for the Fire tablets. It can’t be installed on Firestick by any means, and it seems like Sky doesn’t have any future plans to bring its Sky Go service for Fire TV devices. But, we have a workaround to get Sky Go on firestick, read on to know!
Cast Sky Go Content on Firestick with AllCast
The latest Sky Go on Android and iOS devices support Chromecast, which means you can cast live TV channels and on-demand content from the mobile app to a Chromecast device or a smart TV with Chromecast built-in.
With the AllCast app, you can take advantage of Google Cast API on your Firestick as well, since it is officially available for Fire TV devices. Here’s how you can download it on your Firestick:
- First, move to the top section of the Fire TV home screen and select the Search (magnifying glass) option on the left side.
- Now type “AllCast” in the search menu using the on-screen keyboard. You can also use the voice search option with your Firestick remote.
- Choose the “AllCast” or “AllCast for Fire TV” keyword from the search suggestions below the keyboard.
- From the search results, select and click the AllCast for Fire TV app logo under the Apps & Games.
- Next, click Get to download and install AllCast on your Firestick.
The AllCast for Fire TV app can be launched from Your Apps & Channels row, which you can access from your Fire TV home screen.
How to Cast Content from Sky Go App on Firestick with AllCast?
Once you install AllCast on your Firestick, you are pretty much ready to go. Simply follow the remaining steps below to cast content on your Firestick from the Sky Go mobile app.
- Download the Sky Go mobile app on your Android [Play Store] or iOS [App Store]
- Next, launch Sky Go on your device and follow the on-screen prompts to sign in with your Sky TV ID.
- After that, open the AllCast for Fire TV on your Firestick. There is no need to go through any sort of first-time setup process. Just make sure that both of your devices are connected to your home network.
- Now choose the live TV channel or on-demand movie/TV show you want to watch from the Sky Go app, and play it on your mobile device.
- Click the Cast (a TV with three waves) icon on the top-right corner of the player.
Once your mobile device establishes a connection to your Firestick, the AllCast app should start playing back the Sky Go stream. Note that it takes a few seconds to load the stream, so have some patience and let the app do its job.
- How to Install NOW TV on FireStick
- How to Install Google Chrome on FireStick
- How to Watch History Channel on FireStick
In this guide, we have offered a legitimate workaround to watch Sky Go on Firestick, even though Sky doesn’t have an official app for Fire TV devices. It definitely is a lot of hassle compared to streaming content directly from the Firestick’s interface, but using the AllCast app is currently the only way to watch live channels and on-demand movies or shows from the Sky Go service.
The process should also work for other Fire TV devices, such as the Fire TV Pendant (2017), Fire TV Cube (2018/2019), as well as Fire TV Edition smart TVs and soundbars from JVC, TCL, and Nebula.