Last Updated on October 11, 2020
In this article, you will learn how to install The Roku Channel on Firestick.
Roku sells a wide variety of streaming players in the United States. They also integrate their streaming hardware into affordable TVs and soundbars, making it available to the masses. According to recent reports, Roku’s userbase has grown to 43 million American users.
Roku is also known for its freemium video-on-demand and live TV streaming service, The Roku Channel. Since its launch back in 2017, the service was accessible exclusively via Roku hardware and web browsers. However, the company has recently announced that The Roku Channel is rolling out for Amazon Fire TV users.
Given that Amazon and Roku are direct competitors in the streaming device market, it’s quite surprising to see the debut of The Roku Channel on Fire TV devices.
However, none of the companies depend on hardware sales. Instead, they rely on the revenue cut from subscriptions and advertisements. So, it makes sense for Roku to make its streaming service available to other platforms as well.
If you are looking for a way to enjoy The Roku Channel’s offerings on Firestick, follow this guide to learn how to do it.
What does The Roku Channel offers on Firestick?
The Roku Channel has a massive library of thousands of ad-supported TV shows and movies, alongside 115 English and Spanish entertainment, news, kids, sports, and additional TV channels. It is on par with Amazon’s own IMDb TV service.
Roku has partnered with several American content providers to build up its ad-supported library of licensed content, including but not limited to Disney, MGM, Lionsgate, Paramount, Warner Bros., Sony Pictures Entertainment, etc. Roku sources additional content from services like FilmRise, OVGuide, American Classics, Vidmark, YuYu, Popcornflix, etc.
Alongside free content, You can also subscribe to premium add-ons on The Roku Channel, such as Acorn TV, BET+, Cinemax, Comedy Central NOW, Hallmark Movies NOW, HBO, Starz, Showtime, Epix, IFC Films Unlimited, Shudder, Sundance Now, Lifetime Movie Club, CONtv, and dozens more.
Select movies and shows from the following services are also made on The Roku Channel for a limited time every month.
The ad-supported content library is refreshed with new content so that the users always have new movies and shows to watch. It’s also an excellent streaming platform for those who want to stream Spanish content.
One of the best things about The Roku Channel is that it doesn’t ask you to register for an account or sign in to the service before accessing its ad-supported content.
However, you can sign in to get personalized content recommendations and access the premium add-on catalogs. Note that you can’t subscribe to those services directly from The Roku Channel app on Firestick.
Also, the availability and pricing of the add-ons are subject to your region.
- You can access thousands of on-demand titles for free on The Roku Channel.
- 100+ English and Spanish live TV channels are available to watch on the service.
- Firestick users can set up parental controls to ensure a safe viewing experience among younger audiences.
- You can log in to The Roku Channel to receive recommendations for new movies and TV shows that are preferable to your taste.
- The Roku Channel on Fire TV shares the same intuitive user interface as found on Roku devices, making to easier to browse curated collections and search for your favorite content.
How to Install The Roku Channel on Firestick
The Roku Channel is officially available as a Fire TV app on the Amazon Appstore. You can either visit this Appstore link to register the app to your Amazon account or follow the steps below to get The Roku Channel directly from your Firestick.
- First, highlight the Search (magnifying glass) option next to the navigation panel above the Fire TV Home page.
- In the Search menu, use the on-screen keyboard to enter “The Roku Channel.” It should bring up a few search suggestions.
- Select Roku or The Roku Channel from the following suggestions in the Search menu.
- On the next results page, scroll to the Apps & Games section and select The Roku Channel app tile.
- Click Get / Download in the Appstore and wait for The Roku Channel to start downloading.
Once The Roku Channel is downloaded and installed on your Firestick, click Open to launch it. However, you can also find it in Your Apps & Channels section on the Fire TV Home page.
If you have 15+ apps installed on your Firestick, then The Roku Channel won’t show up under the section. In that case, click See All and scroll down to the end of the apps list to find it.
By pressing the Options key on the remote while highlighting the app, you get the option to Move it higher in the apps list. You can then access it directly from the Fire TV Home page.
How to Sign Up & Activate The Roku Channel on Firestick
As we previously said, it isn’t necessary to sign up for an account for accessing the live TV channels and on-demand content on The Roku Channel. However, if you want personalized suggestions and subscribe to premium add-ons, it’s essential to register for an account. Here’s how to do it:
- On your mobile or computer, open a browser app and go to therokuchannel.roku.com.
- Next, click the Profile icon on the upper-right corner of the webpage and select Create Account.
- Now enter your name, date of birth, and email to create your Roku account. Make sure to enter an unguessable password for security. Once done filling up the form, click Continue.
- The next page will prompt you to choose your PIN preferences. Continue with the default option for now, as you can change it later when needed.
That’s it! You now have a Roku account. You can also go to The Roku Channel’s Premium Subscriptions page to buy premium add-ons. It’s the only option since the Fire TV app doesn’t give users the ability to subscribe to the premium services.
Activating The Roku Channel app on Firestick is easy too. Launch the app on your device first and wait for it to boot into the main screen. After that, scroll up once and click the ‘Sign in’ option. Now, all you have to is enter your Roku account credentials to activate The Roku Channel.
A Quick Overview of The Roku Channel on Fire TV Stick
The Roku Channel on Firestick reminds us of the Roku OS interface. All the content is boiled down to one unified screen, with almost an endless stream of categories and curated collections. The first few rows include Featured, New This Month, Recommended For You, Premium Subscriptions, Live TV, etc.
Scrolling up once from the starting row or scrolling down to the very bottom of The Roku Channel app gives you access to the Tools section, from where you can manually Search for content, change app Settings, manage your Roku account, etc. Everything else in the app is relatively simple to understand.
Related – Best Amazon FireStick Channels List
The Roku Channel is one of the best ad-supported streaming services in the market, and it’s now finally available on Fire TV devices. This guide has shown Firestick users how to install and activate The Roku Channel app on their devices, and we hope you have found it helpful.
As the official announcement post on the Roku Blog suggests, The Roku Channel is compatible with all the Fire TV streaming devices currently supported by Amazon, as well as Fire TV Edition smart TVs and soundbars. For now, the service is limited to the United States only.