In this step by step guide, we will explain How to Activate & Watch Live NBC on FireStick. The same instructions also work on other Fire TV Devices including Firestick 4k & Fire TV cube.
National Broadcasting Company, often referred to as NBC, is one of the oldest television networks in the United States. Throughout several decades, NBC has retained its high viewership due to its original daytime and primetime programming.
Last year, NBC broke CBS’s 18-year long streak by capturing the first place in average viewership, which was a staggering 8.1 million compared to 7.8 million for CBS. Popular NBC shows like This Is Us, The Voice, Chicago, as well as the Sunday Night Football events are the reason why NBC is dominating the TV viewership charts.
Another indirect cause of NBC’s popularity is its dedicated streaming service and major content partners that offer live and on-demand NBC programming. Now that most of us use a streaming device for media streaming over the internet, pay cable and satellite TV providers have partially become irrelevant, which is exactly why TV networks like NBC are moving into the world of streaming.
Amazon Fire TV devices are generally excellent streaming devices to start with. Even the most affordable Fire TV device, the Amazon Firestick, has support for hundreds of streaming services, including NBC’s TV Everywhere service.
This guide has everything you need to watch NBC on Firestick. However, it should also work with the rest of Fire TV devices, which are the Fire TV (3rd gen), Fire TV Cube, as well as the current lineup of Fire TV Edition smart TVs, and soundbars.
Watch NBC on Firestick with the NBC App
The NBC app by NBCUniversal Media is a TV Everywhere service that offers the 24/7 NBC linear channel feed, along with an on-demand catalog stacked with NBC shows and special programming.
You can watch your favorite NBC shows, such as This is Us, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Good Girls, Blind Spot, Chicago, The Voice, America’s Got Talent, Days of our Lives, The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, and many more on the NBC app, whether it’s the live or past broadcasts on-demand.
The streaming app also provides additional content from NBC’s subsidiary networks, including Bravo, Oxygen, E!, SYFY, and the USA Network. Hundreds of classic NBC shows are also accessible from the service’s on-demand catalog.
Due to the TV Everywhere model, the NBC app requires users to sign in with a TV provider account. In case you don’t have one, then you won’t be able to access live and on-demand NBC streams.
However, it’s possible to watch NBC on Firestick without a cable or satellite TV subscription. You can skip to the “Watch NBC on Firestick without cable” section later in this guide for more information.
Features of the NBC app
- The latest episodes of your favorite NBC shows are made available on-demand soon after the live broadcast on the NBC channel.
- In addition to the regular NBC channel, you can watch NBC News and NBC’s other channels live on the NBC app for Firestick.
- Full seasons of classic NBC sitcoms, such as Saved by the Bell and Will & Grace, can be streamed on-demand.
- For live and on-demand streams, the picture quality goes up to 720p and 1080p, respectively.
- It has NBCUniversal profile integration, which lets you sync your watch history and favorite across NBCUniversal’s other TV Everywhere services.
How to Install NBC on Firestick?
As we mentioned earlier, Fire TV devices are officially compatible with the NBC app, with a 10-foot user interface and native support for Fire TV Remote navigation. Firestick users can also install NBC from the Amazon Appstore. In case you are new to Firestick’s interface, then do the following:
- First of all, select the magnifier icon on the upper-left side of the Fire TV home screen, right next to the group of tabs.
- Search for NBC using the voice search option, or manually type it in using the on-screen keyboard. You’ll see a few suggestions popping up below the home screen.
- Select NBC from the suggestions on the search screen.
- On the following page, go down to the Apps & Games results and click the NBC app icon.
- Next, click Get on the NBC app download page. It should start downloading soon, then get installed on your Firestick as quickly as the download finishes.
To launch the NBC app, return to your Fire TV home screen and scroll down to Your Apps & Channels section. If the NBC app isn’t showing up in the list, then go to the end of it and click See All. You definitely will find and launch the NBC app from the expanded list of installed apps.
How to Activate NBC App on Firestick?
Assuming that you have already acquired your TV provider details, you can use it to activate the NBC app on Firestick. The activation process is a bit complicated, but the following steps will show you how to do it.
- Start with opening up the NBC app on Firestick.
- Highlight the More tab from the top navigation section of the NBC app’s home screen.
- Next, click the My Profile The app will prompt you to log in with an NBCUniversal profile or your TV provider.
- Select Sign In next to the NBCUniversal Profile option. It will generate a code for the NBC app activation process.
- On another device, go to nbcuniversalfamily/activate from a web browser and click Continue.
- The following page will prompt you to sign in to your NBCUniversal profile. Those who don’t have one can click the Sign Up option below the page.
- Click the Sign Up with Email button on the next page.
- Click Yes again to get redirected to the TV provider activation page.
- Choose your TV provider from the list or type in your TV provider’s name and click it.
- Finally, sign in to your TV provider account and follow the on-screen instructions to finalize the NBC app activation process.
That’s it! If you have followed the instructions as mentioned above, then you should be signed into the NBC app successfully.
A Quick Overview of NBC App on Firestick
Once you activate the NBC app, you will find yourself back to the home screen of the app. The app’s user interface resembles the Fire TV’s intuitive home screen. There are a few navigational tabs above, which are Home, Shows, LIVE, Networks, and More. Besides, you should also notice a magnifier icon, which brings up the search menu in case you want to find your favorite NBC show quickly.
Home is what you will see every time you open up the NBC app. It is a scrollable menu that shows content recommendations, which is fine-tuned to your viewing activities. You also can continue watching an episode from where you stopped previously.
The Shows menu provides an extensive list of NBC’s on-demand content library. You can filter the list by A-Z, Popular, Comedy, Drama, Reality, Movies, and News. As previously mentioned, the on-demand catalog on the NBC app also has content from NBC’s sister channels.
The LIVE menu is basically a TV guide for NBC’s linear TV channels that shows the programming schedule. In addition, you can tune in to the NBC channel directly from the TV guide.
An underrated feature of the NBC app is closed captioning, which also serves an accessibility option for those who are hearing-impaired. You can toggle on the option by clicking the CC icon in the stream player.
How to Watch NBC on FireStick without Cable?
Cable subscriptions are comparatively expensive than subscription-based streaming services nowadays, which is why many people have cut the cord to save money. If you are one of them, then you won’t be to activate the NBC app or access its live and on-demand streams.
The only option for you is to purchase a subscription from an online live TV provider that offers the live NBC channel and on its programming on-demand for Firestick and other popular streaming devices. Here are your options:
If you operate under a constrained budget, then Sling is the most reasonable option for you. The $30 Sling Blue package has 50+ channels, which includes NBC, along with its sister channels like Bravo, E!, Oxygen, USA Network, SYFY, etc. Content that are broadcasted on NBC channel in the last three days is also available on-demand.
As a new member, you will get a $10 discount on your first month, effectively bringing down the price of the Sling Blue package to $20 only. Including Firestick, you can stream Sling on two more devices with the mentioned package.
fuboTV entry-level monthly plan, fubo Standard, includes NBC and its sister networks in 100+ lineup of channels. The subscription price is $59.99, which is still cheaper than cable TV plans.
Although fuboTV’s on-demand library doesn’t have much NBC content to offer, you can schedule DVR and record 30 hours of NBC programming without an extra cost.
YouTube TV also offers a complete list of NBC channels with its $64.99 monthly subscription. It also has 60+ popular American entertainment, news, and sports channels that aren’t found on most other live TV services, at least under the same subscription price.
YouTube TV’s on-demand library does provide a sizeable selection of content from its partner channels, including NBC and its subsidiary channels. You also get unlimited cloud storage for DVR, which is something we don’t see on other live TV streaming services as well.
Hulu with Live TV
Hulu is probably the best option for you in case you want to stream every NBC show ever made. With the Hulu + Live TV subscription, you can not only watch NBC and its sister channels live but also stream the latest NBC programs on-demand from Hulu’s regular streaming library. The subscription will cost you $54.99/month.
The official NBC app on Firestick offers the best overall experience, assuming that you do have a cable subscription. However, it’s also possible to log in to the app with your Hulu, fuboTV, Sling, and YouTube TV subscription since these are officially registered TV providers in the US.