Last Updated on June 21, 2022
The primary function of a virtual private network (VPN), as well as concealing your internet activity, is to change the location of your IP address so you can access blocked content abroad.
A virtual private network is used to protect against hackers and snoopers on public networks. They may also hide your IP address, browsing activities, and personal data on any Wi-Fi network, including those at home.
If you want to change your location using a VPN, read on. We cover how you can change your IP and location, and we look specifically at some of the most popular VPNs out there.
How to change my VPN location
To change your location with a VPN follow these simple steps:
- Subscribe to a VPN service
- Download the VPN to your computer or device
- Start the app and log in
- Choose your country of choice from the list
- It will connect automatically or click connect
Change location with top VPNs
Here we go through some of the best VPNs on the market that allow you to change your location. We cover their best features and the process of changing your location.
ExpressVPN is a well-regarded VPN service provider that ranks first on the list of the best VPNs. It provides top-tier security by encrypting your data with military-grade 256-bit encryption to keep it safe. Aside from that, the automatic kill switch safeguards the device even if it terminates the VPN connection.
- Can connect up to 5 devices simultaneously
- With more than 3,000 servers in 94 countries to access geo-blocked content
- Unblocks Netflix, Disney+, HBO Mas, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and Vudu
- Supports Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux, routers, and Apple TV
How to change location with ExpressVPN
- Log into your ExpressVPN account by going to the dashboard and entering your credentials.
- Afterwards, click on the link in the confirmation email to receive your authentication code.
- Keep the browser window open. You’ll require the activation code for the setup next.
- Install the app on your computer by double-clicking the downloaded file.
- Sign in with your activation code after installation
- Select your preferences to continue
- Now click the start button to connect to a VPN server location. By default, ExpressVPN will suggest the location for an optimal experience for you.
- After the connected message appear on the app screen, begin surfing.
Proton VPN is a free virtual private network location changer that provides limitless data to surf the web and download. With limitless data, it does not make any concessions to its security features and ensures that you’re accessing the internet safely. Users enjoy it since it’s free, simple to use and doesn’t contain advertisements.
- Unlimited data
- Strict no-logs policy
- AES 256-bit encryption
- Kill switch to safeguard online activity
- 3 free server locations and 1 device connection
- Can unblock Youtube, Spotify, Facebook, Instagram and Kodi
- Compatible with Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux and routers
How to change location with ProtonVPN:
- Download ProtonVPN and install it. Once it’s installed, you’ll notice a shortcut form.
- Open the shortcut to launch and enter your credentials to sign in
- Once signed in, the UI of the VPN will appear for navigation and connection.
- Once signed in, the UI of the VPN will appear for easy navigation and connection.
- Click on “Quick Connect” to connect with the closest server for optimal performance.
- After connecting a list of countries will appear on the screen
- Find the VPN server from the county list to connect manually.
Hotspot Shield VPN
When you use HotSpot Shield VPN, your data allowance is refreshed every 24 hours. You also get 500 MB of bandwidth to use every day, which adds up to 15 GB in a month. Hotspot shield only displays advertisements in their mobile apps, not in their desktop or laptop versions.
- Military-grade encryption
- Automatic kill switch
- 1 free server and 5 simultaneous device connections
- Can unblock YouTube, Spotify, Facebook, and Instagram
- Compatible with Windows, Mac, Android, iOS
How to change location with Hotspot Shield VPN:
- Download Hotspot Shield
- An installation file will be downloaded automatically onto your computer.
- Once you double-click the file, Hotspot Shield will install.
- Once it’s installed, click Finish, and the main page will appear.
- The first time you see Hotspot Shield, you need to close your browser.
- Turn on Hotspot Shield for your current wireless connection by clicking the light-blue power icon in the middle of the window.
- Choose a new country in the drop-down box of the “Browsing from” drop-down menu to change your IP address’s country. By changing your IP address location, you’ll be viewing your website in a different country.
It’s the greatest free VPN service available on the internet. The free trial is only available for one month. Despite this, it does not restrict its services during the trial, and it has some advantages in terms of server capacity, data transfer, and speed limitations.
- AES-256 encryption
- Five Eyes non-member
- Access to Torrent and Netflix
- Split tunneling
How to change location with SurfShark:
- Download SurfShark
- Double-click the downloaded file after it has been located
- Click yes when the computer asks to make changes to the device
- Immediately after the installation is complete, the app will start automatically.
- It will automatically start after the installation is completed.
- Once you’ve selected the fastest VPN server, tap Connect.
- Locate your preferred location in the Locations tab, and then click it to connect.
How to change VPN location on mobile devices
Use a VPN to change your IP address and impersonate your location. When you use a virtual private network, you can hide your true location and protect the privacy of your online activities. Using a virtual private network (VPN) is the best way to change your location online.
Steps to take:
- Install Clarios free 7-day trail on your mobile device
- Register your Clario account
- Open the Clario app and click Browsing
- Turn on Browsing Protection
- Tap on your browsing location to change it
- Choose your desired browsing location from the list
Frequently Asked Questions
How does Google know my location when I’m using a VPN service?
Google determines your position by analyzing two pieces of information: your IP address and the signals from nearby Wi-Fi hotspots. If you want to ensure that your true location is kept secret, including from Google, disable Wi-Fi on your device and instead use mobile data (if you’re using an iPhone or iPad) or a connected connection to access the internet.
Does VPN change phone location?
Your phone (or tablet, computer, or another device) seems to be at a different location online when you use a VPN. You can communicate with the outside world through your smartphone in a variety of ways. Despite this, your actual location can still be traced through your Wi-Fi and Bluetooth modules, as well as through your GSM receiver/transmitter (the portion of your phone that allows you to make “normal” phone calls).
Is changing your IP address illegal?
Changing your IP address is legal. Using a VPN is banned in several countries.
Why is my VPN failing to change my location?
The following might be the reasons why your VPN service does not change your location:
- Your VPN service is off
- When you connect to a VPN, you are assigned the location that matches your city and country, but not your IP address. The same can happen if you connect to your office’s intranet through a VPN service configured to provide access. You can change your VPN location in this instance.
- There is something wrong with your VPN service. You need to change the settings yourself or ask a technical specialist for help.
With a virtual private network (VPN), you may conceal your location and perform some vital functions that would otherwise be impossible for you. There are various excellent free VPN solutions available, all of which offer a free trial period that you may use to assess their effectiveness.
HOW TO USE VPN ON YOUR XBOX ONE, SERIES S & X