Last Updated on January 8, 2021
In this step by step guide, you will learn How to Update FireStick to the latest version of 2021.
Amazon’s Fire TV devices are powered by Fire OS, which is a heavily customized fork of Android. Because of this, even the most affordable Fire TV device, Firestick, is compatible with thousands of streaming apps and channels.
One underwhelming aspect of Fire TV devices is first-party software support. Although Amazon does push frequent updates to its streaming devices, it doesn’t make significant changes except for bug fixes and performance optimizations. In some cases, they also roll out critical security patches, which makes the Fire TV devices more secure.
So, it’s crucial to keep your Firestick safe and secure. Also, updating to the most recent version of Fire OS means that your Firestick is compatible with the latest apps and services.
How to Update FireStick (Latest Version 2021)
If you haven’t updated your Firestick or checked for an update manually for a long time now, then you should follow this guide to update your Firestick to the latest version of Fire OS.
Last Updated on January 8, 2021
Steps to Check for Firestick Update 2021
It’s really simple to check and install the latest system software updates on Firestick and other Fire TV devices. Assuming that you have stable internet connectivity, just do the following:
- First, go to the tabs row above the Fire TV home screen and highlight Settings.
- Now scroll to the right of the settings page and select My Fire TV or Device The same option is labeled as Device & Software on the latest versions of Fire OS.
- Next, click About on the following page.
- Now click the Check for Updates, Your Firestick will search for the latest system update.
- In case you see the Install Update option, then there is an update pending for your Firestick. Click the option and wait for the update package to be downloaded.
When your Firestick is at idle state, it will automatically restart and begin installing the latest software update. You can also manually restart to install the update when prompted after the update package download finishes.
Important Note: Do NOT unplug your Firestick even when the progress bar seems to be stuck at the same place for a prolonged period. It might take more than ten minutes to finalize the installation of the latest system software. Otherwise, your Firestick won’t likely boot up to Fire OS when powered on the next time.
How to Update Apps on Firestick?
It’s quite essential to check for app updates from the Amazon Appstore on Firestick, as most streaming apps require users to update to the most recent version to function properly.
The easiest way to update apps on Firestick is to enable automatic app updates. Here’s how you can do it:
- Head over to the Settings menu from the Fire TV home screen.
- Now select and click Applications in the settings menu, then click Appstore.
- After that, click Automatic Updates and turn the option ON.
If you want to check for app updates manually, then follow the instructions below.
- Go down to Your Apps & Channels row on the Fire TV home screen.
- Scroll right to the end of the row and click See All. You will be able to see all the apps you have installed on your Firestick.
- Now highlight the app you want to check updates for, and press the Menu button on your Fire TV Voice Remote. A drop-up menu will open up at the bottom-right corner.
- If the Update option is present in the menu, then click it.
- Once again, click Update App Now in the dialog box.
That’s it! The app will be updated to the latest version in a minute or so. For jailbroken Firestick users, we have a separate guide below.
How to Update Sideloaded Apps on FireStick?
If you have sideloaded third-party apps on your jailbroken Firestick, then you will have to sideload the latest APK version of the app manually. Amazon Appstore doesn’t provide updates for sideloaded apps.
However, you can use a third-party app store on your Firestick, which is something most people are comfortable with. One of the best third-party app stores for Firestick is Aptoide, which offers the latest versions of thousands of apps from both trusted developers and unverified community developers.
If you do use ADB over the network for sideloading apps on Firestick, then you can run this command to install app updates from your PC:
adb install -r [Full path of the APK file]
However, we strongly recommend Firestick users to use Aptoide or other third-party app stores to update sideloaded apps.
- Best Web Browsers For FireStick
- Best Amazon FireStick Channels List
- How to Watch Hotstar on Firestick
In this article, we have demonstrated how to Update firestick to the latest version. Hopefully, this guide has helped you to update the system software and apps on Firestick. Although you can skip the updates as per your preference, we do not recommend it at all since it may cause performance degradations, system instability, and put your Firestick at the risk of unpatched security vulnerabilities.