Last Updated on June 21, 2022
Most Fire Sticks have a power button on their remote controls. But, this button is not connected to the Fire Stick itself. It’s connected to the TV, so using it to change the volume or turn off applies to the TV and not the Fire Stick itself. Even if the TV is off, the Fire Stick is still running in the background. It’s set in a way that the Fire Stick or Fire TV is automatically turned off 20 minutes after the TV has been turned off.
So, if you do want to turn your Fire Stick off manually, this article is for you. The methods explained in this article apply to the Amazon Fire TV Stick, the Fire Stick 4K, and the Fire TV Cube.
Can You Turn Off a Fire Stick?
When we talk about turning off a Fire Stick, we don’t actually mean shutting it down. The only way to completely shut a Fire Stick off is by unplugging it from a power source. On all of the other occasions, the Fire Stick is on Sleep mode.
But, putting your Fire Stick to sleep is more or less the same as turning it off — it consumes less energy. The only difference is that it can still do software updates during Sleep more, something that doesn’t happen if the Fire Stick is unplugged.
The methods proposed in this article might not work if the Fire TV is unresponsive, buffering, or freezing. If that is the case, you should unplug the Fire Stick, leave it unplugged for a couple of seconds, and plug it back in. That will reboot the stick in a way. If the problem persists, you might need some professional, technical help.
How to Turn Off Your Fire TV Stick with the Remote Control?
- If you want to turn off the Fire TV Stick with the help of the remote control, you need to press and hold the
- Home button on the Fire TV remote. You can find the button in the middle of the remote, with a house-shaped logo on it.
- After around 3 seconds, the screen on the TV will become black and a pop-up menu will appear.
- On the pop-up menu find the Sleep option. You can get to it by using the right directional button on the remote control. The Sleep option has a half-moon-shaped logo.
- Once you get to the option, use the button in the middle of the ring on the remote and select the option. With it, the Fire TV Stick will go to sleep mode.
- The TV itself though will not turn off. If you want to turn off your TV too, do so manually or by using the TV remote.
- If you want to turn the Fire Stick on again, just press any button on the remote and the Stick will turn on again.
How to Turn Off Your Fire TV Stick from the Home Screen?
- If you want to turn off the Fire Stick through your home screen, start by pressing the Home button on the Fire TV remote.
- Next, find Settings. You will find it in the upper right corner of the Home screen. Access Settings by moving with the directional button on the remote. Press right until you highlight Settings.
- Then, press the middle ring on the remote, thus selecting and accessing Settings.
- Now, you need to find My Fire TV. Using the down and right directional buttons on the remote, highlight My
- Fire TV. With the middle ring on the remote, you can access it.
- The next step is to scroll down through the My Fire TV menu until you find and highlight the Sleep button.
- Again, using the middle remote ring, select the option.
- This will turn your Fire Stick off. Depending on the setup, this might or might not turn off your TV. If it doesn’t and you want to turn the TV off, do so by using the TV remote control.
How to Turn Off Your Fire TV Stick with Your Smartphone?
- If you want to turn off your Fire Stick with the help of your smartphone, you need to have the Amazon Fire TV app downloaded and installed. If you don’t, this is the first step. Find it on your Apple App Stoe or Google Play Store. If you already have the Fire Stick app, skip steps 2 and 3.
- Once downloaded and installed, you need to set it up. On the app, select your device and sign in with your
- Amazon username and password. A four-digit code will appear on the screen. Use it to link the two devices.
- Make sure that your Fire TV Stick and your smartphone and connected to the same WiFi network. To check on which WiFi your Fire TV device is connected go the following path:
- Settings > My Fire TV > About > Network.
The WiFi network used will be shown on the SSID bar.
- When both devices are linked, use your smartphone Fire TV app and find the gear icon. It will be in the top left corner of the smartphones’ screen.
- Lastly, select the Sleep option to turn the Fire TV Stick off.
What is a Fire Stick?
The Amazon Fire TV Stick is a device made for media streaming of videos and music, installing apps on the TV, or playing games. It gives the option to turn your normal TV into a smart TV and connect accounts for easy accessibility.
It’s designed as an HDMI stick which you just connect to the HDMI slot of your TV. Plug it into a power source, connect your accounts on it and you are good to go. It’s operated by a remote control which also allows you to give voice controls.
You can use it to watch content on the internet, on Amazon Prime, or Netflix. You can also download other android apps and use it to play games. With its Bluetooth feature, you can operate it through a remote control, or connect headphones or speakers.
The Fire Stick is an Amazon-produced device made for content streaming, downloading and using apps, and playing games. It turns your TV into a smart TV, so you can connect all online-based accounts in one place.
Normally, the Amazon Fire Stick has 20 minutes more passive working time after the TV is turned off. But you can turn it off manually too. Turning off a Fire Stick means putting it on Sleep mode. The only way to completely turn it off is to unplug it from the power source.
You can turn your Fire TV Stick by using your remote control, your TV home screen, or with the help of the Amazon Fire TV app on your smartphone.