Last Updated on December 16, 2022
Japanese animation – more commonly referred to simply as “anime,” has had a huge impact on the world of entertainment. This form of whimsical animation is visually pleasing, engaging, features great characters and storylines, and is just all-around awesome.
There’s no shortage of anime series to watch; in fact, it seems like more and more series are introduced on a constant basis. While there’s no denying that there are plenty of options to choose from – and many of those options are accessible via Amazon FireStick – you’re limited to the titles that the media giant allows.
As an anime fan, you know that there’s no such thing as too many shows to watch. There’s also no doubt that you’re always searching for the latest and greatest, as well as some oldies but goodies, to watch.
If you have a FireStick, however, doing so can be a bit of a challenge because, as we said, you’re limited to the titles that the streaming powerhouse permits. Fortunately, there’s a way that you can expand your content and access tons more anime titles. How? By installing Funimation on FireStick and Kodi, of course!
How do you go about installing Funimation and watching it on these platforms? Keep on reading for an informative, easy-to-follow, step-by-step guide.
Step-by-Step Guide to Installing Funimation on FireStick
1. You might need a VPN before installing
Before we proceed with explaining how to install and watch the Funimation app on your preferred device, there’s an important concern that we need to address. In several forums, we’ve seen diehard anime fans asking if they can use their VPN with the Funimation platform. It seems like these conversations go ‘round and round’ in circles and no one really knows the answer. We feel it’s important to set the record straight.
There is absolutely no denying that Funimation is an amazing service, as it’s the only legal English language-based platform that lets you stream a complete catalog of anime and Eastern Asian media. However, there is a downside, and that’s that the service isn’t available everywhere.
Currently, it is only available in a handful of countries, including:
- The United States
- The United Kingdom
- New Zealand
If you live in one of these countries, that’s great, as you’ll have no problem accessing the service. However, if you aren’t lucky enough to reside in one of these countries, then the only way that you’re going to be able to access the Funimation service is by using a VPN service.
If this information applies to you, the first thing you will need to do is set up your VPN service (Express VPN is a great option). A VPN allows you to link up with one of the regions that the service is available in, such as the United States, Mexico, Ireland, or Australia. Once you do that, you’ll be able to access Funimation.
Oh, something else that’s important to note is this: all of the regions that support Funimation feature different content libraries similar to other streaming services, like Netflix and Hulu. As such, there’s no need to get upset if you can’t find the series or the movie in a particular region, as you’ll be able to find whatever it is that you want to watch in another region. To do that, you’ll need to change the location of your VPN service.
2. Changing Your VPN Location
Another major benefit of using a VPN is that you can change your location whenever you want and access all of the content that’s available in different regions that support Funimation. Changing your location with an Express VPN is really easy. If you already have an Express VPN account, you can skip this step and just log in to your account; however, if you don’t have an account, here’s how to get one:
- Subscribe to Express VPN. If you don’t, the first thing you’ll need to do is subscribe to the service. Express VPN offers a 30-day money-back guarantee, which means that you can use it completely risk-free. If it turns out that you don’t like it (which we seriously doubt will be the case), then you just need to contact the company within 30 days of subscribing and they will issue you a full, no-questions-asked refund. Talk about easy!
- Turn on Your FireStick. Power up your Firestive and go to “Find” and then the “Search” option.
- Search for Express VPN. Type “Expressvpn” (no quotes needed) into the search bar. When Express VPN shows up in the search results, select it.
- Download Express VPN. Once you’ve found Express VPN in your search results, click on “download” to install the Express VPN app onto your FireStick.
- Open the app. Once the app has finished downloading (it should only take a few minutes), enter your log-in credentials and then click “sign in.”
- Select Power icon. Now click on the “power icon” and you’ll connect to a VPN server. Once you do this, your connection will be secure and you can go ahead and proceed with Funimation!
3. Subscribing to Funimation
Once you’re all set up with Express VPN, you can proceed with installing Funimation and view an enormous library of anime and Eastern Asian content. Here’s how:
- Open up the web browser on your phone or computer and head to the Funimation website
- Click on the “Try Premium Plus” tab, which will be located on the top right side of the screen.
- You’ll be directed to the Funimation subscription page, where you’ll see the featured Premium Plus plan and all of the details about it.
- Scroll down a bit and you’ll see the Funimation plans, which include Premium, Premium Plus, and Premium Plus Ultra.
- Choose a plan that best meets your needs and then click on “Start My Free Trial”
- Enter the requested information. Click on the “Continue” button to confirm the information you entered.
- Once Funimation processes your info, you can create an account with the service.
- Input your payment information.
- Confirm your info and click the “Start Subscription” plan.
4. Installing the Funimation App on FireStick
Here’s how to install Funimation on your FireStick device.
- Head to your Fire TV home screen and click on the “Find” button on the left side of the screen.
- Scroll down and choose the orange “search” title.
- Type in “Funimation” and choose the first suggestion that pops up.
- Select the “Funimation” title.
- You’ll be directed to the Funimation app’s store screen. Select the “Get” or “Download” button and the app will begin downloading.
- Once the app is installed, you’ll see “open” appear.
You’re now ready to access tens of thousands of titles on Funimation!
5. And on Kodi?
- Launch Kodi
- Choose “add-ons” from the main menu
- Go to “Download,” then choose “Video Add-ons.”
- Find FunimationNOW add-on and select it
- Click “Install” and “Ok.”
- Once install you will see a notification
- Head back to home screen and add-ons to open Funimation
Note: Remember that this add-on is not yet compatible with Kodi 19 Matrix.
6. Using Funimation
Once you’ve downloaded Funimation, here’s how to watch the endless array of anime available on the app.
- Open the Funimation app.
- Once the app loads, you’ll be directed to the home screen. Click on the “sign in” button.
- Input your email address in the account information pop-up.
- Enter your Funimation password.
- Click “log in.”
- Once you’re logged into your account, you can start searching through the endless amount of titles on the Funimation app.
What is Funimation?
For readers who are wondering, “What the heck is Funimation,” let’s circle back and give you some background information.
Funimation is an American-based media company that specializes in dubbing and distributing anima and other forms of media from Eastern Asia. It might be new to you, but it’s actually anything but. In fact, Funimation was founded back in May of 1994, so it’s been around for quite some time.
This content-rich streaming service has been entertaining diehard anime fans for almost 30 years. It’s one of the best ways to access and view anime and Eastern Asian entertainment.
What content can I watch on Funimation?
More than 10,000 episodes of anime series and movies are available for viewing on Funimation, and those episodes and movies can be viewed on virtually any device.
New episodes of the latest anime series are available for viewing just two weeks after their original air date, so you won’t have to wait around forever to watch those titles you’ve been dying to see, nor will you have to deal with searching for ways to find them.
Not only that, you can also download your favorite shows on Funimation, like:
- Death Parade
- Fruits Basket
- Demon Slayer
- Black Cover
- Attack on Titian
- Every single Pokemon episode and movie
These are just some of the titles that are available on this super-unique streaming service. As if all of that wasn’t enough, you won’t have to settle for reading subtitles while you’re watching; no, Funimation wants to provide their users with the best experience possible, which is why they dub English audio for their entire library of content.
But wait, there’s more! With Funimation, you won’t have to deal with ads, either! That’s because it’s an ad-free streaming platform, so you’ll never need to deal with having a movie or episode cut off right at the climax to listen to an ad for something that you don’t need, nor do you want.
From fan favorites to the latest hits and from classics that have withstood the test of time and even obscure titles that you may have never even heard of before, you can access and watch them all right from the comfort of your own home – or anywhere else, really – right on Funimation.
But first, you’ll need to download the app onto your FireStick or Kodi. If you’re new to anime and you’re excited about starting your adventure into this action-packed world or you’ve been a fan of this genre for a long time and you want to grow your library of content, you’re definitely going to want to install it.
When it comes to anime, you’ll be hard-pressed to find any other platform that even comes close to Funimation.
So, there you have it! Now, go ahead and get ready to expand your horizons with endless amounts of anime content. Have fun!