Last Updated on March 15, 2022
A VPN, or Virtual Private Network, is a great idea when you want more freedom and privacy. However, VPNs allow you to do much more than that. They are especially useful for your gaming systems. VPNs allow you to remain anonymous when gaming. You can play in different countries on different servers. You can play against people you would never know existed with a Virtual Private Network.
So if you are looking to set up a VPN to use with your Xbox, this article will show you all you need to know to do it properly and with ease.
Setting up a VPN for an Xbox
There is a simple way to connect your VPN to your Xbox and install it on the router. When your router establishes a Virtual Private Network, your devices on that network are now secure. This includes your Xbox. You will now have more privacy, security, and the ability to appear somewhere else when you play the Xbox.
Setting up a VPN on your Xbox takes about twenty minutes. You must have access to the router. If a parent or guardian has admin access, be sure to talk to them. You will need admin access to install a VPN on your router. Let us talk about step one.
The first step is deciding which VPN you want to use. You should utilize one after doing research. Find the best Virtual Private Network for your needs. Once you have done this, you can sign up for it. Make sure that you have an account with your VPN before moving on to step two.
Some of our favorite VPN choices are:
- Express VPN
This may be a step where you need help from a parent or the admin controller of your router. However, if you have access to the control panel on the router, you’re good to go. You can access this control panel utilizing the local IP. If you do not know how to access the control panel, contact your internet service provider. You may also go to the guide that came with the router.
You will find yourself in the router’s control panel. Now you have to navigate to find where you need to be.
- Click Network.
- Inside the Network tab will be another tab that states Setup. Click this tab.
- Next, you will find a Settings tab. Click this.
- Then finally, click the WAN tab.
You can now enter the information that was given to you by the Virtual Private Network. When you signed up or purchased the VPN, this information was emailed or given. If you are not provided with this information, contact your Virtual Private Network Provider. They will give you the information you need.
The information consists of:
- IP/DNS Address
You will enter this information into your router’s control panel. Make sure that you save the changes before closing the program. Once you ensure changes are saved, you can close the window.
The next step involves your Xbox.
- Turn on the system and head to your settings.
- You will go to the Network tab and go to Set Up Wireless Network.
- Your Xbox will ask you which is your wireless internet. The different wireless networks will appear here. Be
- sure to select the wireless network that you use in your home.
- Enter your password.
The last step is to ensure that everything is working. You should test the connection on your Xbox. You are good to go if you can stream videos and play internet-access games. Your Xbox should appear to be in a random area. This will happen every time you turn on your Xbox.
Keep in mind that you can change this location at any time. All you need to do is change your VPN server address. You can find this in the router’s control panel.
Setting up a VPN for Xbox – Option Two
There is another way to download a Virtual Private Network onto your Xbox. It requires about ten minutes, and is the cheapest way to do this method.
The first thing you need to do is download your favorite VPN. Make sure you have an account and sign in. It is important to note that VPNs are not free — you must pay a subscription fee. Once you have subscribed, move to step two.
This is where you will connect the Xbox to your computer. You will need an Ethernet cable to complete this task.
- Once the cable is attached, you can now open your control panel.
- Your control panel should have a Network and Sharing Center tab. Click on this tab.
- After clicking on this, you should click Change Adapter Settings (This is located on the sidebar).
The third step is to click on your VPN connection. This should be the item that was just downloaded.
- Click on it and go to Properties and then Sharing.
- There is a box you need to click on. This box will indicate that you allow others to use this computer’s internet connection.
- Check this box.
Now you will want to look for your home network connection. There should be a drop-down menu. In this menu, you should find your Ethernet connection. Select Ethernet and click okay. Now you can connect your Virtual Private Network to your computer. Be sure you are choosing a server that fits what you need.
You are ready to turn the Xbox on.
- Go to your Xbox settings and ensure that all networks are set to automatic. You can test your Xbox connection too.
- You can go to your settings on the Xbox.
- Click on General and then your Network Settings.
- You will then test your internet connection.
Using a Virtual Private Network on an Xbox can make life easier. You have access to more people and more popular games like Call of Duty: Warzone. Plus, you do not have to worry about being hacked or losing your game. Taking the time to download a VPN properly can help anyone who plays Xbox.