Last Updated on May 11, 2022
The traveling season is starting now. The anticipation of experiencing something new is running high. Despite the fun times, you will have outside of your hotel room, you will still be spending a significant amount of time cooped up in that room.
For business travelers, the boredom of staring at the white walls is real. Regardless of the purpose of traveling, you are always looking for ways to make your stay more comfortable.
Thanks to the portable size of the Amazon Firestick, it has become a popular choice for frequent travelers to bring as an entertainment unit. If you are one that prefers keeping up with your TV series on the road, you need this guide to connect your Firestick to the hotel WiFi effortlessly.
- 1 Steps to connect your Firestick to hotel WiFi
- 2 Is it safe to connect to hotel WiFi?
- 3 Why does the Firestick work slower when connected to the hotel WiFi?
- 4 Things to look out for when traveling with your Firestick
- 5 Summary
Steps to connect your Firestick to hotel WiFi
Before you get started, you need to make sure the TV in your hotel room comes with a USB port and there is an HDMI cable. It has to be a smart TV for this to work. You may call the hotel in advance to find out about this. If they do not have an HDMI cable, you may bring one from home.
Once you are in the room and ready, these are the steps to take and you are embraced by the thousands of shows and apps available.
- Locate a free HDMI port in the rear or side of the TV. Usually, you will find a few HDMI ports on one TV. You will only need to use one. However, if they all happen to be plugged in, you need to decide which one to remove so your Firestick can go in. Plug your Firestick into the selected HDMI port.
- Plug the USB into the USB port on the TV. If there is not one, use the Amazon USB adapter from your Firestick package. Find the closest power source and plug in the adapter. Connect it with the USB.
- Turn on the TV and locate the corresponding HDMI input source. If the hotel TV remote is too complicated and confusing, you can also change the input source by pushing the correct buttons on the TV itself. The buttons are usually located on the side of the device.
- After you have got the right input source, use your Firestick remote and go to the Home page. Go to Settings (the wheel icon).
- Select Network with the WiFi logo.
- Choose the right network provided by your hotel and input the login details or password. If you do not see the network listed, click See All Networks so you get the full list of internet sources available. Some hotels may use a two-step login method. A window will pop once you have selected the WiFi source. You will be asked to log in with your room number, a customized password, or another sign-in method provided to you by the hotel. Input the details given and click Done once it is connected.
After following the above steps, you should be able to browse the content on the Firestick. In older hotels, the TV resolution may not support the ultra-HD or other higher resolution videos. So you may consider changing the video settings to avoid the issue of dropping frames.
Is it safe to connect to hotel WiFi?
Each hotel WiFi is essentially public WiFi that grants access to all its residents within the premises. The security is non-existent if there is any at all. The internet connection is monitored and controlled by the hotel authority. Therefore, as an individual user, you do not have much freedom when it comes to what you can browse.
Since the security level is low, connecting your device to the hotel TV could lead to cyberattacks, personal information leaks, and more. Other users sharing the same WiFi can hack into your account.
To protect yourself, using a VPN is an absolute essential. A VPN masks your footprint so no one knows your true IP address. It also encrypts the data transmitted from your account. Others will not be able to collect your data. It provides the best security for users.
Furthermore, when you are traveling out of the country, the shows that you were previously watching may not be available anymore due to copyright issues. Using the VPN to reroute your location allows you to stream the shows again. You never have to miss an episode of your favorite series again.
Users must understand that connecting to the hotel WiFi is only safe if you take the appropriate measures. An open WiFi network will never be safe without VPN protection. Sign up for a trusted service provider and you are insured for every step of your journey.
Why does the Firestick work slower when connected to the hotel WiFi?
This is a frequently asked question by worried travelers. Your Firestick was working just fine before you left home. All of a sudden, it is buffering and dropping frames. Is there something wrong with the device?
Bear in mind that hotel WiFi is shared by hundreds and thousands of users in the same block. The more active users, the less internet speed each user gets. Besides, most hotels would restrict the internet speed for users that are browsing TV series or other entertainment platforms to maintain the maximum speed for their core operations.
It is perfectly normal for your Firestick to run slower in public places because it is not getting the best support. It needs fast internet speed to give outstanding results. Hence, if you are traveling to hotels or places that are notoriously known for bad reception, you might reconsider bringing your Firestick along. For the connection and internet speed, you may either check the hotel reviews or call them directly to enquire exact details.
Things to look out for when traveling with your Firestick
1. Put your Firestick and supporting gadgets in a separate case
Although the Amazon Firestick is praised for being highly versatile and strong, this tiny stick does not do well with long travels. Placing it in your bag without protection causes the device to get all scratched up by hitting other objects. If you are traveling by plane and do not secure it properly, the vibration and shaking will cause your Firestick to break down.
Get a travel case for the device. The travel case should have soft paddings that absorb the vibration. Ideally, it will come with a separate pouch for the other accessories and gadgets as well.
2. Keep a note about the items you brought
As sharp as your brain is, there are days when the 5 am alarm is going to wreck the responsiveness. Always keep a note of all the gadgets that you are bringing. If you are bringing the Firestick remote, USB, and the USB adapter, make sure it is written down somewhere so you have a list to follow when packing.
Sometimes, it is easy to forget about one small item, especially one that you normally do not carry around. There is no reason to take the risk.
3. Avoid extreme weather conditions
If you are traveling through places with extreme weather conditions, you may want to keep the Firestick at home or get a suitable container for it. Firesticks that are kept under the grilling heat or bone-chilling cold will underperform, if not at all broken.
Extreme weather conditions affect the operation mechanism of the Firestick. If you are unable to ensure a competent case/packaging for your device to go, it would be smarter to leave it home.
Firestick is a travel essential to keep you company at all times. It is certainly a smart choice to keep your number one entertainment hub with you. Follow the steps in this article and get access to all the fancy apps now!