Last Updated on September 9, 2020
The following guide will show you how to Install and Watch HBO Max on Firestick.
You can also sideload the HBO Max APK on Fire TV Pendant (3rd gen), Fire TV Cube (1st or 2nd gen), and Fire TV Edition Smart TVs/Soundbars by following the same steps we have shown for Firestick/Firestick 4K.
HBO Max, the new American video-on-demand streaming service from WarnerMedia, has been steadily gaining subscribers since its launch back in May.
Despite its unavailability of popular streaming devices, the service reached 4.1 million subscribers in June, which is literally a month after the public rollout.
HBO Max is unavailable on Amazon’s Fire TV, one of the renowned media streaming players available globally. While HBO’s TV Everywhere app HBO Go has been discontinued, the HBO Now the app has been rebranded to “HBO” just for Fire TV devices.
The reason behind this mess is the dispute between WarnerMedia and Amazon, causing a postponement of HBO Max’s launch on Amazon’s media streaming platform.
While WarnerMedia wants to launch HBO Max as a standalone app on the Fire TV platform, Amazon is forcing them to include it in their Prime Video Channels ecosystem instead, so that it’s much more convenient for Fire TV users to access HBO Max’s offerings.
And obviously, Amazon demands a cut from the new sign-ups, which WarnerMedia refuses to give up.
However, it’s not totally impossible for Fire TV users to access HBO Max on their devices. For the context, Amazon’s Fire OS runs on Android, and HBO Max is officially available on Android TV.
Since it would be the same app on both platforms, HBO Max will work on your Fire TV device without problems.
If you use a Firestick for your media consumption needs, then this guide will help you not only install HBO Max on Firestick but also activate and troubleshoot it.
In this guide, we’ll show you the installation process of HBO Max on Firestick. Those who haven’t subscribed to HBO Max yet can also follow this guide to learn more.
Last Updated on September 9, 2020
What can you Watch on HBO Max?
HBO Max carries WarnerMedia-owned properties, as well as on-demand content pay-TV channels like TBS, TNT, TruTV, etc.
Its list of first-party content providers is massive, which includes Adult Swim, Boomerang, Cartoon Network, CNN, Crunchyroll, The CW, DC Entertainment, Turner Classic Movies, and of course, HBO and Warner Bros.
HBO Max has also acquired streaming rights for future seasons of Sesame Street, as well as several as South Park, The Other Two, Awkwafina is Nora from Queens, and South Side from Comedy Central. Alongside TV series, thousands of movies have been sourced from the content providers.
As of now, HBO Max is streaming a handful of exclusive movies and TV shows on its platform, which are Doom Patrol (S2), Karma, Search Party (S3), Love Life, Craftopedia, The Not-Too-Late Show with Elmo, Frayed, the Dog House, Expecting Amy, Selena + Chef, Tig n’ Seek, On The Record, Adventure Time: Distant Lands, and many more.
HBO’s flagship TV shows and mini-series are also available on the platform, such as Game of Thrones, Euphoria, Deadwood, Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Sopranos, True Blood, Gunpowder, Hackerville, Chernobyl, Generation Kill, The Pacific, Mildred Pierce, Westworld, Watchmen, Big Little Lies, Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, etc.
Since Crunchyroll is one of the first-party content providers for HBO Max, you can also catch up to a few anime TV shows, including Aldnoah.Zero, In/Spectre, Keep Your Hands off Eizouken!, Schwarzes Marken, Re:Zero – Starting Life in Another World, Your lie in April, The Testament of Sister New Devil, Erased, and more.
It’s worth mentioning that HBO Max carries neither 4K high-resolution nor HDR content, and the best audio quality you can get is Dolby Digital 5.1. However, we might see the addition of 4K HDR, Dolby Vision, HDR10+, and Dolby Atmos enhancements by the first quarter of next year or so. Also, you do get the option to toggle on/off closed captions for most on-demand content.
HBO Max Features
- HBO Max offers a vast streaming library of on-demand movies, TV shows, mini-series, specials, and documentaries from both WarnerMedia and third-party properties. It also has an expanding library of exclusives.
- You can create up to five adult and kids profiles on a single HBO Max subscription. Each profile can have its personalized library of curated content.
- The stream quality goes up to 1080p Full HD resolution with 5.1 audio channel.
- You can adjust the font style, size, opacity, and background color for the closed captions on HBO Max content.
- A monthly HBO Max subscription will cost you $14.99 only, and you get an ad-free access to all the content.
How to Install HBO Max on Firestick?
While Amazon and WarnerMedia continue its beef, Fire TV users won’t be able to stream HBO Max on their devices until a long-term settles between the companies.
However, the official HBO Max app is available for Android TV. It makes it possible to sideload the Android TV variant of the HBO Max APK file on Fire TV devices, including Firestick. The following step-by-step instructions will show you how:
#1: Turn on APK Sideloading on Firestick from Unknown Sources
By default, Amazon locks out users from sideloading APK files from external sources outside the Amazon Appstore on Fire TV devices. However, you can lift the restriction by enabling special permission from the developer settings on Firestick. Here’s how to do it:
- First, scroll up to the tabs on top of the Fire TV home screen and select Settings.
- From the Settings screen, find and click Device or My Fire TV. The same option might be listed as Device & Software as well.
- Now go to the Developer options menu, then select and click Apps from Unknown Sources.
- Click Turn On if you get Amazon’s disclaimer about sideloading applications from unknown sources.
You have successfully enabled APK sideloading on Firestick. Since HBO Max is a licensed app from a renowned company, you won’t have to worry about damaging your device or losing your sensitive data.
#2: Get Downloader on Firestick from Amazon Appstore
Downloader is one of the only officially available app in the Amazon Appstore that offers file downloading on Fire TV devices. We will need it to download and install the HBO Max APK file on Firestick. Follow the steps below to get Downloader on your device:
- Click the magnifying glass (Search) option right next to the first tab above the Fire TV home screen.
- In the search screen, you can type “Downloader” using the keyboard on the screen or the voice search feature on the Firestick remote to search for the app.
- Go down and select Downloader from the same search screen when it shows up.
- Now click the Downloader app icon under the Apps & Games list in the following results.
- To start downloading the Downloader app on Firestick, click Get or Download. It should be installed automatically in a minute after the download finishes.
Once you have Downloader, click Open in the Appstore page to launch it. Then, follow the remaining steps below to sideload the HBO Max app on your Firestick.
3: Use Downloader to sideload HBO Max on Firestick
- Upon launching Downloader, click Allow to give the app required storage permissions for it to function correctly.
- You will be shown a quick start guide on the first boot. Click OK to skip it.
- On the default Home page, highlight and click the search bar, then type in this download link: https://bit.ly/343eszS
- Click OK and let the Downloader app download the HBO Max APK file.
- After the APK file completes downloading, the Android installer should appear. Click Install in the window to allow the installation of HBO Max on Firestick.
- Once HBO Max has been installed, close the installer window by clicking Done.
- Delete the APK from the Downloader app as it isn’t necessary to keep after the installation. Also, deleting the APK file will free up 60+ MB of internal storage.
You can launch HBO Max on Firestick from Your Apps & Channels list on the Fire TV home screen. Click See All in case it doesn’t appear on the list, then scroll down at the bottom of the following grid-view of all the installed apps. You will definitely find the HBO Max app.
How to Sign Up for HBO Max on Firestick?
As previously mentioned, HBO Max’s monthly subscription costs $14.99/month, similar to HBO’s pay-TV channel add-on and HBO NOW’s pricing.
However, for a limited time, HBO is offering its HBO Max service at a discounted rate of only $11.99/month for the next 12 months. Here’s how to sign up for it:
- Visit hbomax.com on a different device.
- Click the ‘Sign Up Now’ option on the HBO Max’s official website.
- You will be asked to enter your name and email address for the HBO Max account creation process. Make sure to enter a strong password to keep your account protected.
- Next, enter your credit/debit card details and additional personal information. Once you add your payment method, click Start Subscription. You will be redirected to the payments page.
Once you successfully pay for your subscription, you will be able to log in to the HBO Max app and stream your favorite HBO content on Firestick from the streaming library.
How to Troubleshoot HBO Max on Firestick?
In case HBO Max Apk on Firestick refuses to launch or doesn’t let you stream anything, then follow the steps to troubleshoot the HBO Max app.
- Go to the Settings menu from the Fire TV home screen and select Applications.
- Now click Manage Installed Applications on the following page.
- Scroll down the list of installed apps and select HBO Max.
- Click Force stop in the app options, then clicks Clear data once again.
That’s it! The HBO Max app should now start working properly on your Firestick. Since you have cleared data, you will have to activate the app once again with your HBO Max account credentials.
- How to Watch Hotstar on Firestick
- How to Watch Fox Sports on Firestick
- How To Install ESPN on FireStick
HBO Max won’t be available for Fire TV devices until the dispute settles between WarnerMedia and Amazon. For now, you can follow the installation guide here to get HBO Max on Firestick.
The service is rich with premium on-demand content, and it’s a must-try for those who are looking to replace their Netflix or Hulu subscription.