This step by step guide will teach you to install Git Browser on Kodi. The method provided in this guide can be applied to all the Kodi supported platforms including Amazon FireStick, Windows PC, Fire TV Cube, and more.
GitHub is often used by both major and small software developers that aim to make their projects open-source to all users. The service hosts millions of code repositories, and it has over 40 million unique users as of the first quarter of this year.
Since GitHub’s basic tools don’t require developers to pay for a subscription, the vast majority of small developers use its platform to distribute software as well. You can even find Kodi add-ons and add-on repositories on GitHub, as it’s useful for not only hosting the latest updates but also taking user-submitted issues and fixing them with upcoming patches.
If you are a regular Kodi user, you might have noticed that most third-party Kodi repositories are hosted to GitHub, which makes you think whether there’s an easier way to download and install Kodi repositories from the service.
Fortunately, an add-on named Git Browser makes it possible, and today we will show you how to install Git Browser on Kodi. First, let’s see what you can do with Git Browser.
- 1 What can you do with Git Browser on Kodi?
- 2 How to Install Git Browser on Kodi
- 3 How to Use Git Browser on Kodi
- 4 Wrapping Up
What can you do with Git Browser on Kodi?
TVAddons, a website that offers third-party add-ons for Kodi, launched Git Browser last year, making it much simpler to install Kodi add-ons from GitHub. It is a successor of the ill-fated Fusion Installer, which has now been discontinued ever since phishers started using it to trap new Kodi users into installing malicious add-ons.
With Git Browser, you can not only download and install Kodi add-ons significantly faster but also verify the authenticity of the add-on. It allows you to search for Kodi add-ons by GitHub usernames, repository titles, as well as add-on IDs.
Git Browser also has a batch installer option so that you can install or update multiple add-ons at once. Whether it’s video, music, program add-ons, or scripts and repositories, you can use it to download and install whichever third-party add-on you want to install.
How to Install Git Browser on Kodi
Git Browser is unavailable in Kodi’s official add-on repository, which means you will have to install Git Browser from the TVAddons repository instead. The following set of step-by-step instructions will help you install Git Browser on Kodi v18.x:
Step #1: Enable installation of add-ons from unknown sources
By default, Kodi doesn’t allow users to install third-party add-ons. You have to enable a special option from settings first. Here’s how:
- Open up Kodi and let it boot to the home screen.
- Now highlight and click the cogwheel icon at the upper-left section of the Kodi home screen to open the System
- On the System menu, scroll over to the Settings section below and click System.
- Next, select Add-ons from the left sidebar, then toggle on the slider for Unknown sources.
- If you get a warning prompt, click Yes to dismiss it.
That’s it! You can now install add-ons on Kodi from third-party sources.
Step #2: Install the TVAddons Repository
The TVAddons Repository hosts the Git Browser. You can go through the steps below to install it on Kodi.
- First, go back to the main System menu, then select File manager from the first row of options.
- Next, select Add Source on the following screen, and click the <None> option in the pop-up window.
- Now type in the following link for the repository path: http://fusion.tvaddons.co. Click OK to save it.
- Highlight the field under “Enter a name for this media source” and type “Fusion.” You can name the source something else as well.
- Click OK under the pop-up window to save the repository path, and return to the System menu once again.
- After that, select Add-ons from the menu, then click Install from zip file on the following Add-ons page.
- Select Fusion from the list of paths, then go through the following folders as shown here: kodi-repos > english.
- Now scroll down and click the xbmchub-3.0.0.zip file.
You will return to the Add-ons page. Once you see the “TVADDONS.CO Add-on installed” message, you can follow the remaining steps below to install Git Browser on Kodi.
Step #3: Install Git Browser from TVAddons Repository
You can now download and install Git Browser on Kodi from the TVAddons repository. Simply do the following:
- On the Add-ons page, select Install from repository.
- Now highlight and click CO Add-on Repository from the list.
- Go down and select Program add-ons, then click Git Browser in the add-ons list.
- Finally, hit the Install If you get a message regarding the installation of additional scripts and dependencies, click OK to continue.
Once you see the “Git Browser Add-on installed” notification, you can return to the Add-ons section of the Kodi home screen and launch Git Browser from the Program add-ons category.
How to Use Git Browser on Kodi
It’s quite straightforward to use Git Browser for installing Kodi add-ons and repositories from GitHub pages.
- First, launch Git Browser on Kodi.
- Skip the Git Browser instructions by pressing the OK button on your remote or the Esc key on the keyboard.
- Now select Search by GitHub Username.
- Now click the New Search.
- Type the GitHub username in the field and click OK. For example, you can search for the Exodus Redux repository by entering “I-A-C” the GitHub username search option.
- Click the xxxxx.zip file. It will start downloading and get installed as usual. Click Continue if Git Browser asks you to install additional files.
This is how you can use Git Browser on Kodi. You can check out the list below for popular GitHub usernames so that you can easily install useful add-ons and repositories.
List of Github Usernames for Kodi Repositories & Add-ons
- thecrewwh for The Crew Repository
- tikipeter for Tikipeter Repository and FEN add-on
- darknessally for cCloud/TempTV Repository and cCloud TV/Tempest add-on
- bobbybark for Diamond Build Repository and Golden Age/7of9 add-on
- MrKoyu for CellarDoor Repository and Numbers add-on
- kodibae for Kodi Bae Repository and Exodus add-on
- nixgates for Nixgates Repository and Seren add-on
- unicsuc for Gaia/Bookmark Lite/Supremacy Repository and Mobdro add-on
- jasonbuechler for Placenta/Neptune Rising add-on
- bugatsinho for Bugatsinho Repository and ReleaseBB add-on
In this guide, we have introduced you to the Git Browser addon and shown you the way to install it on Kodi. With Git Browser, you won’t have to download add-ons from shady repositories anymore, and it’s much easier to use than adding repository paths every time you want to install a repository or add-on.
Notably, Git Browser may take several minutes to search for a GitHub username. Hence, you shouldn’t force close Kodi by any means. Just sit back and wait for the search results to show up.