Last Updated on September 18, 2020
In this article, we are going to show the steps to watch CNN on Firestick. All of the apps and services in this guide are compatible with other Fire TV devices, such as the Fire TV (3rd Gen), Fire TV Cube (1st Gen or 2nd Gen), and Fire TV Edition Smart TVs or Soundbars.
Cable News Network, famously known as CNN, is one of the biggest pay-TV news channels in the United States since the 1980s. Among other American news networks, CNN was placed in third in terms of viewership in 2019, followed by Fox News and MSNBC in the first and second ranks, respectively.
Since CNN is an all-news channel, its weekday schedule is complete with regular news programming in the day and in-depth news analysis at night.
They also have late afternoon and early evening newscasts from CNN journalists like Wolf Blitzer, Jake Tapper, Erin Burnett, Anderson Cooper, Don Lemon, Chris Cuomo, and many more.
In the weekend primetime, CNN mostly air documentaries and miniseries, as well as reality-style original shows.
Although CNN has been under fire for its controversial news coverage and political views throughout the years, it still is viewed by millions of people across the United States.
Alongside cable TV, you can also watch CNN online on almost all of your smart devices, including streaming media players like the Amazon Fire TV.
If you use a Firestick for on-demand video streaming, then follow this guide to watch CNN live on Firestick. Apart from showing you the official service, we will also give you alternatives to watch the CNN channel live on your Fire TV device.
Last Updated on September 18, 2020
Watch CNN on Firestick with CNNgo
The CNNgo app lets you watch the CNN, CNN International, and HLN channels live on Firestick. It actually is a TV Everywhere service, requiring users to sign in with their TV provider account.
However, you get 24/7 unlimited access to CNN’s live news coverage as long as you have the channel in your cable or satellite TV subscription.
CNNgo also offers short clips of breaking news, debates, analysis, and coverage of the latest events, which you can access by dozens of categories, including entertainment, politics, tech, etc.
You can even access CNN’s library of original programming, including series like Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown, United Shades of America, This is Life with Lisa Ling Mostly Human, The Wonder List with Bill Wier, The Hunt with John Walsh, and more.
CNN’s on-demand content also has closed captioning, and you can enable or disable it in the CNNgo app as per your preferences.
Features of CNNgo on Firestick
- You can stream CNN, CNN International, HLN live on your Firestick from the CNNgo app by signing in with your television provider.
- CNNgo has a respectable on-demand library full of CNN’s original documentaries, shows, and other factual programs.
- The CNNgo app on Fire TV devices consists of a simplistic and intuitive user interface. It works perfectly with the Fire TV Remote.
- Live and on-demand streams on CNNgo max out to HD quality (depends on your cable subscription).
- The app is free to download from the Amazon Appstore.
How to Install CNNgo on Firestick
The CNNgo app is officially offered by CNN on Fire TV devices, including the Firestick. By following the steps instructed below, you can download and install CNNgo on Firestick. The installation process goes as follows:
- First, select the magnifying glass on the top-left corner of the Fire TV home screen to expand the search menu.
- Search for the CNNgo app in the search menu. You can use either the voice search option or the on-screen keyboard to do it.
- Next, select CNNgo from the keywords that show up below the search field.
- Now move to the Apps & Games results on the following page, then highlight and click the CNNgo app logo.
- Finally, click Get on the CNNgo app page. The download should begin after a few seconds, then get installed on your Firestick.
Once installed, you can launch CNNgo from Your Apps & Channels section of the Fire TV home screen. However, if you have over twenty apps installed on your Firestick before, click See All to expand the section and go down to the bottom to find and open up the CNNgo app.
If you want quick access to CNNgo directly from the Fire TV home screen, move it among the top twenty apps in Your Apps & Channels section.
How to Activate CNNgo on Firestick
CNNgo requires you to log in with your TV provider before allowing access to the live news channels and on-demand content. Here’s how you can activate CNNgo on Firestick:
- Launch the CNNgo app on your Firestick. The first time you launch it, the app will generate an activation code.
- On your phone or computer, open a web browser and go to cnn.com/activate and select Amazon Fire TV from the list of platforms.
- Now type in the activation code in the field and click Continue to Verify.
- After that, select your television provider from the list, enter your account credentials, and sign in.
Once you are signed in, the CNNgo app will redirect you to the main screen, from where you will be able to access the live CNN channel and on-demand video clips.
A Quick Overview of CNNgo on Firestick
The CNNgo app features four different sections: Featured, LiveTV, Shows, and Settings. The user interface is straightforward and clutter-free in general, so you won’t have any issues navigating through the different sections of the app.
In the Featured section, you get access to the top news of the app, as well as updates to ongoing events. It mostly offers a curated list of news recommendations for the viewers. You can stream CNN, CNN International, and HLN live from the LiveTV section.
In the Shows section of the CNNgo app, you can scroll through CNN’s on-demand library, which includes original news series, reality-style shows, documentaries, and real-life investigations.
You can enable or disable Closed Captioning from Settings, and Reset the CNNgo app in case you face playback errors.
Watch CNN Live on Firestick Without Cable
Although you can watch CNN live on Firestick with the CNNgo app, it still is a TV Everywhere service that requires users to have a cable or satellite subscription. But what about cord-cutters?
Cord-cutters can pay a monthly fee for OTT live TV services to watch CNN on Firestick. If you have cut your cord too, check out the list of services below.
Hulu + Live TV
Hulu’s lineup of 65+ channels includes CNN, CNN International, and HLN. You can also tune in to MSNBC, Fox News, ABC News Live, CBSN, and more. Furthermore, you get access to Hulu’s on-demand library with the Hulu + Live TV subscription plan. 50 hours of cloud DVR storage and up to two device streams are available as well.
Both of Sling’s monthly plans, Sling Blue and Sling Orange, include the CNN channel. However, Sling Blue offers more news coverage, as it has Bloomberg, Cheddar, Fox News, HLN, MSNBC, and Newsy channels. You also get ten hours of DVR and three simultaneous streams with Sling Blue.
YouTube TV’s $64.99 monthly subscription provides access to 85+ channels, which includes not only CNN but also ABC News, BBC America, BBC World News, Cheddar, Fox News, HLN, MSNBC, CNBC, Local Now, Newsy, TYT Network, etc. In addition, subscribers get unlimited cloud DVR storage and simultaneous streams on up to three devices.
AT&T TV NOW
CNN is included in all the plans offered by AT&T TV NOW. The cheapest option to watch CNN, CNBC, Cheddar, Fox News, and HLN would be the PLUS package, which costs $55/month. The package also bundles three device streams and 500 hours of DVR space.
- How to Watch History Channel on FireStick
- How to Watch USTVGO on FireStick
- How to Watch Hallmark Channel on FireStick
By following this guide, you definitely will get to watch CNN on Firestick with or without a cable connection. Note that you can also sign in to the CNNgo app with your Hulu, Sling, YouTube TV, or AT&T TV NOW account and get access to the live channels and on-demand programming.