Last Updated on June 21, 2022
Like any storage device, your Kodi cache can become full over time and this can significantly impair performance if it is not cleared. It’s a bit like trying to put extra items into an already overstuffed suitcase!
In this article we will explore three different ways in which you may be able to clear your Kodi cache and enhance your viewing experience. The methods will be slightly different depending on the version of Kodi that you are currently using. You will need to check your device before you select the appropriate method.
How to Clear the Cache in Kodi
1. Clear Kodi cache (version Kodi 18)
In order to clear your cache files on Kodi 18 you can use an add-on called Indigo. Indigo is one of the best and most effective ways for you to clear the cache on your Kodi. The Indigo maintenance app is a Kodi add-on that brings with it an extensive range of options when it comes to troubleshooting.
To install Indigo on Kodi, take the following steps:
- Choose the settings icon in the main menu (this looks like a gear)
- Click System settings
- Hover over add-ons – as you hover, check to see if unknown sources are enabled. If it is already enabled, then leave it but if not, click on it and a warning will appear…then click yes
- Go back to the previous menu and click File Manager
- Double click add source – a dialogue box that says Add file source will open
- In the place where it says none, Kodi will ask you to enter the paths or browse for the media location
- Enter the address… http://fusion.tvaddons.co
- Click OK
- You will then be prompted to enter a name for the media source and you can, of course, name it whatever resonates with you… then click OK
- Return to the main menu and click add-ons
- Click the box icon in the top left-hand corner and click install from zip file
- Select the TVAddons source that you just added and then select Kodi-repos
- Select English if appropriate and then choose repository.xbmchub-x.x.x.zip
- A message will tell you that TV add-ons repository has been installed and then you’ll return to the add-ons installation menu
- Now click install from repository
- Choose TVADDONS.CO Addon Repository
- Click program add-ons
- Select Indigo and the add-on should be installed within a few seconds
To continue with the process of clearing your Kodi cache once Indigo is successfully installed:
- Launch indigo
- Open Maintenance Tools
Once you have done this, you will be presented with a long list of options, one of which will be clear cache. This is the place where you will be able to delete the cache on your Kodi application. All you need to do to confirm your decision is to click on the option and the process will begin automatically.
The other available options may also provide you with a smoother viewing experience. It might be worth making use of these once you have the indigo add-on installed.
- Delete Thumbnails – This option will free up an extraordinary amount of space and will be especially useful if you are running low on disk storage.
- Delete crash logs – Crash logs are saved every time you encounter performance issues and these can take up a considerable amount of space. Deleting these will help you to free up that additional space.
- Delete Textures13.db – This is an internal Kodi database that stores artwork. If you are experiencing problems when trying to view artwork, then you can delete this to free up additional space.
- Run Auto Maintenance – This option will enable your Kodi to run at its best. It is a very helpful script that only takes a few seconds to complete and is well worth using.
2. Clear Kodi cache on Firestick devices (Kodi 18 & 19)
This method will work with any version of Kodi because you will be using the Fire OS settings to clear cache as opposed to Kodi itself.
- Activate your Fire TV stick and navigate to the home page
- Find Settings and scroll until you find Navigations
- Now select Manage Installed Applications
- Your Fire OS apps will appear and you will need to find and select Kodi
- Finally, select Clear Cache and once you have confirmed your decision, the process is complete
3. Clear Kodi cache on Android TV (Kodi 18 & 19)
This method for clearing the Kodi cache will work successfully on any Android TV device.
- Activate your Android TV device and go to the home screen
- Select Settings from the top right-hand corner of the screen
- On the sidebar, select the Apps option
- Find and select Kodi
- Finally, choose Clear Cache and confirm
What is a Cache?
In computing, a cache is either a hardware or software component that stores data so that future requests for that data can be served faster. The data stored in a cache may be a copy of data stored elsewhere or it might be the result of an earlier computation.
Within Kodi, there are many different types of cache and they are not all directly related to each other. However, ‘cache’ does refer to any data that is stored locally on the Kodi device and is used for fast access to that data.
Sometimes, if you are experiencing technical problems with your Kodi device, such as slow performance or playback issues, it may be necessary to clear your Kodi cache in order to speed things up and overcome any technical glitches.
Kodi is a media platform that can be installed on almost any device. By installing add-ons onto Kodi, the user is able to access and view Movies and TV shows. Users can also download media files such as photos, videos, music, and more and save them within the Kodi application.
Kodi is a free media center app that allows people to consume media through streaming. The Kodi app is basically a host app for the components that will allow you to view your chosen content. The Kodi app has been developed and improved greatly since its arrival on the market and there are now literally thousands of add-ons, skins, builds, and wizards for this amazing piece of software.
Kodi is an amazing app that, with the use of add-ons, will facilitate hours of viewing pleasure with all your favorite TV shows, music, and movies streamed from the internet. However, as with all technological devices, there will be times when buffering, lag or a lack of general responsiveness can interrupt or interfere with your viewing pleasure. It is important to have an understanding of the basics of the technology that you are using and also of the troubleshooting methods available to you should you encounter any difficulties.
Once you know what you are doing and which version of Kodi you are using, you should find it pretty simple to successfully clear your Kodi cache and return its viewing performance to optimum levels.