Last Updated on January 15, 2023
In this article, we will explain How to Install Google Chrome on Firestick. Although we compiled this guide with Firestick in mind, it should also work for other Fire TV products, including the Fire TV Cube, Fire TV (Gen 3), and the new Fire TV Edition smart TVs/soundbars.
Amazon’s Fire TV platform is ideal for developers to push new streaming-centric apps, as it’s currently one of the most popular streaming platforms. Alongside standalone apps from live TV and on-demand streaming services, users can also install several utility apps from the Amazon Appstore, such as network analysis tools, file managers, VPN clients, media players, downloaders, etc.
One more thing that people look out for is web browsers on Fire TV devices since a few streaming services aren’t compatible with the respective platform yet. With a popular web browser, users can open up the web version of the streaming service and enjoy streaming content from it regardless of the incompatibility.
However, only a handful of other web browsers are available in the Amazon Appstore. Their functionality is also somewhat limited, and the file download feature is entirely absent from web browsers. Examples include Mozilla for Fire TV and Amazon Silk Browser, which are two of the only web browsers available for Fire TV stick devices.
To overcome the current issue with internet browsers on Fire TV, many people have already considered using the Android version of Google Chrome, which has managed to capture a hefty 68% of the browser market share worldwide.
Although you can install Chrome on Fire TV device, even on the most affordable Fire TV device, Amazon Firestick, it’s not an easy task. This is why we have prepared this step-by-step guide to install Chrome on Firestick.
By following this guide, you all can have proper web browsing and content streaming experience on Amazon Firestick.
Last Updated on January 15, 2023
Why should you use Google Chrome on Firestick?
The biggest downside of using Mozilla instead of Google Chrome for Fire TV and Amazon Silk Browser on Firestick is its absence of specific web protocols, ad-blockers, and advanced privacy features. With the Chrome browser, you get to take advantage of all the missing features.
Chromium’s open-source Blink engine is what handles web layout and rendering on Google’s Chrome browser. It offers significantly faster and more efficient webpage loading compared to other browsers in the market.
The Android version of Chrome Chrome also has a data saver feature called ‘Lite mode.’ It redirects some of your web traffic through Google’s servers, which is then compressed and simplified so that webpages take fewer data and hardware resources to load up on your device. According to Google, watching videos over Lite mode can reduce up to 50% of your data usage.
With Google Chrome on Firestick, you will also be able to download any type of file from direct download links, whether it’s media or APK files. You can even pause, restart, and open your downloads from Chrome’s built-in download manager.
Google Chrome app also has several privacy-focused features. One of them is incognito mode, which lets you browse the web anonymously without affecting your existing browsing history and saved cookies. Once you close the incognito tab, your temporarily saved history and cookies will also get wiped. Chrome’s ‘Do Not Track’ feature also lets you restrict websites from collecting or tracking your browsing data.
The user interface on Google Chrome for Android has a layout similar to the PC version, minus the discover feed. You can quickly search for something on the web from the Google search engine bar, as well as get access to the website links that you frequently visit.
There are several additional reasons why you should Google Chrome Browser on Firestick, but it’s impossible to cover all of them. So, without further ado, let’s take a look at the list of Chrome browser’s key features below.
Features of Google Chrome Web Browser
- Google Chrome is powered by the Blink web engine, which also powers some of the fastest Chromium-based internet browsers in the browser market.
- Unlike official Fire TV internet browsers, you can open multiple tabs and manage them at once on the Google Chrome browser.
- You can also download files from Google Chrome. Mozilla for Fire TV and Amazon Silk Browser doesn’t allow it.
- Google Chrome can automatically block badly behaving web pages and restrict potentially dangerous pop-ups.
- You have the option to open web pages in either mobile or desktop mode.
How to Install Google Chrome on Firestick?
Last Updated on January 15, 2023
While Google Chrome for Android can technically run on a Firestick without issues, the developers intend the Google Chrome browser to be used on smartphones and tablets only. This is why you won’t find Google Chrome on the Amazon Appstore for Fire TV devices.
However, you can sideload the Google Chrome APK file on your Firestick and use it for web browsing and content consumption. The following steps will show you how to install Google chrome browser:
#1. Enable sideloading from Firestick’s Developer Options
Since the early days of Android, developers had the freedom to install unsigned apps for testing purposes. The same feature has been carried through ten generations of Android, and it is also found on Fire OS. It is a custom fork of Android developed by Amazon, and it does retain the sideloading feature. Here’s how to enable it:
- Using your Fire TV Remote, select and highlight the Settings option from the menu bar of the Fire home screen.
- Find and select Device & Software in the list of Fire TV settings. On the older versions of Fire OS, the option is labeled as Device or My Fire TV.
- From the next settings menu, choose Developer options. Unlike regular Android, Developer options can be accessed on Fire OS without manually enabling it.
- Turn on Apps from Unknown Sources from the developers option menu. You should receive a pop-up warning about the risks of unknown app installations.
- Since Google Chrome app is safe to install, simply click Turn On to dismiss the warning.
You have successfully enabled app sideloading on Firestick. You can now continue following the rest of the steps below.
#2. Get the Downloader app from the Amazon Appstore
Since none of the official browsers for Firestick support file downloading, you’ll have to use the popular Downloader app from the Amazon Appstore to download the Google Chrome APK file. Follow the steps below to get the Downloader app on your Fire TV device.
- Start with accessing the search menu by highlighting the magnifier icon next to the Fire TV home screen’s top menu bar.
- Next, search for the Downloader app using the on-screen keyboard or your voice. While you type it in the search bar, you can quickly select Downloader application from the instant autofill results.
- On the search results page, scroll down to the Apps & Games section to select the Downloader
- Once you are on the download page, click Get / Download. It will take a minute or two for the Downloader app to get installed on your Firestick.
#3: Download and sideload Chrome APK on Firestick
After the app installation, click Open to open the Downloader app. The final set of the following steps will show you how to download and install Chrome Browser on Firestick.
- On the first launch, the Downloader will ask for storage permissions. Click Allow to give it the required access to Firestick’s storage.
- Click OK to skip the update changelog page and continue.
- After that, highlight the URL bar on the Home page, then enter this download link: https://bit.ly/3eQ2VGq
- Now click Go. The Google Chrome APK file will start downloading.
- When it has finished downloading, the Android installer should show up on the screen. Click Install at the bottom side of the installer.
- Click Done when Chrome is installed on your Firestick. You will be back to the Downloader app, and you can delete the Chrome APK file as it’s no longer needed.
You can launch Chrome on Firestick from Your Apps & Channels section on the Fire TV home screen. The chances are that you won’t see it in the side-scrolling row, so click See All at the end of the section. It will open up a separate window of all the installed apps, where you will find the Chrome browser as well.
How to Use Chrome on Firestick with Mouse Toggle
While Chrome will work on Fire TV devices without any sort of code-level modifications, its user interface is designed to be intuitive on a touch display. Actions like opening contextual menus and web browsing are near to impossible on Chrome with the Fire TV Remote.
With the Mouse Toggle app, you can enable a virtual mouse cursor overlay on your Firestick, which will let you navigate through Chrome’s user interface, as well as scroll through websites.
Once you set up Mouse Toggle on Firestick, you can open up Chrome and press the Play/Pause button on the Fire TV Remote twice to activate the virtual mouse cursor for navigation.
Alternatively, you can invest in a decent wireless Bluetooth-powered keyboard and touchpad combo device for the best web browsing experience with Chrome on Firestick.
See Similar Firestick Related Posts
Install Google Photos on Firestick
Google Photos is definitely a must-have app if you have a large number of photos stored on your device. Amazon Fire Stick devices can also be used to view photos on a TV. The app lets you backup photos and accesses them on pretty much any device that is compatible with Google Photos App.
Install Windscribe VPN on Firestick
VPN or Virtual Private Network, allows a client to establish a private connection to a server hosted elsewhere. Windscribe VPN is one of the few VPN services that doesn’t ask users to pay for a subscription plan or throttle their bandwidth intentionally. It lets you connect to secure servers in 100+ cities across 63 countries.
Watch Hallmark Channel
Hallmark Channel is a family-friendly channel. Hallmark Channel shows numerous series, movies, specials, and holiday-themed programming every day of the year. It has been one of the fastest-growing channels on television since its inception with an increase from 8 million subscribers in 2007 to over 53 million subscribers as of September 2018.
How to Change Firestick Device Name
Getting a FireStick can be very interesting, especially that moment whenever you install it for the first time and realize that a brand new world of entertainment has opened up for you. If you decide to rename your Firestick, then you can make it yours, and it might be even more fun to click the FireStick on and watch your favorite show.
Use Clean Master on Firestick
Clean Master is a free app that can be downloaded on the Google Play Store and Amazon App Store. Clean Master helps to clean up your device by deleting old files and apps, freeing up storage space, protecting against viruses and malware, etc.
Internet browsers that are available in the Amazon Appstore are highly optimized for Fire TV devices. However, none of them are as versatile as the Chrome browser. This guide is intended to help you install Chrome on Firestick, which is a must-have browser for those who often access web versions of video streaming services.
1. Why do I need Google Chrome on my Firestick?
Many people use Google Chrome on their computer and would like to have it on the Firestick. This will allow them to access their favorite websites through a browser, such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc.
2. Can you browse the Internet on FireStick?
Installing a web browser program such as Amazon Silk on your Amazon Fire TV Stick is all that is required to browse the internet on your device. Once the web browser has been installed, launch it in the same way you would any other program on your Amazon Fire TV Stick, and use the remote to enter website addresses, select links, and scroll across web pages.
3. How do I get Google on my FireStick?
- Fire up your FireStick or Fire TV.
- Select Settings from the home screen.
- Navigate to My Fire TV (on newer Fire OS versions, this option is called Device & Software).
- Scroll down and select Developer options.
- Turn on Unknown Sources apps.
4. Does Firestick work with Google home?
To some extent, Google Home can operate your Fire TV device, but only in a limited way. Control will be very restricted, with just the most fundamental orders being recognized. In order to improve your experience with either of those devices, it is recommended that you purchase their branded counterparts instead.
5. Does Firestick have Google Play store?
The Firestick does not have the Google Play store. It is a streaming device, similar to Chromecast, that allows you to watch movies and TV shows online, as well as on-demand content from many different providers. You can also use it to play games, listen to music, or browse social media sites like Facebook and Twitter with a browser installed.
- 5 Reason Why Your FireStick Streaming Is So Slow?
- 3 Methods To Unpair FireStick Remote – Detail Guide
- How To Install FileLinked Onto Your FireStick?
- How To Install AirScreen On FireStick?
- How To Fix a Black Screen On Fire Stick?