Last Updated on July 13, 2022
So you’ve got Kodi, an amazing way to show off your personal videos, movies, music, television shows, and even more from your media library all in one place. No more will the contents of your computer be scattered around and removed. But instead, you will be able to see everything right from the get-go. It is perfect, it is amazing, and it looks terrible. And for a free software, looks can sometimes be everything.
However, if you are unhappy with how Kodi looks, then you can customize nearly everything about it to make it exactly what you want. Plus, you can find official skins from Kodi’s developers as well as skins from Kodi enthusiasts online! So, if you want to change a Kodi skin, then you can do so in two different ways.
How To Change A Kodi Skin From Within The Application
If you don’t want to bother with going into files and such, then you can simply change the skins from within the applications.
- Open Kodi and go into the home screen
- Go to the cogwheel icon in the top left corner
- Once you get into the settings, you can click on ‘interface’ and then ‘skin’
- Once you select it, then you can click on the ‘Get More’ button
- You will then see a list of available skins
- Find whatever skin you want, click on it, and the skin and any required dependencies will be downloaded automatically
- Select the skin, and it will be applied to your Kodi
Test it out, see if you like the look. If you don’t, then you can change it back by following the same process.
How To Change A Kodi Skin From A ZIP File
Now, if you don’t like the way that the included Kodi skins look, then you can download a third-party skin from a ZIP file. Additionally, you will need to go into your Kodi and make sure that your Kodi accepts files from unknown sources.
To do this:
- Go back to settings
- Click on the ‘system’ button
- Hover over ‘add-ons’
- Once this is done, click on ‘unknown sources’
- Click yes on the pop-up that comes up
Now that add-ons are enabled:
- Download the ZIP files and go back to the ‘add-ons’ icon in the main menu
- Click on the icon that looks like an open box and select ‘install from ZIP file’
- Go to wherever you left the ZIP file, which is probably inside your downloads folder (you will need to navigate to C: > Users > Your Username > Downloads)
- Select the ZIP files
Once the ZIP file has been selected, then you simply need to wait, and the new skin will be installed.
- Return to the ‘Add-Ons’ screen
- Click on ‘My Add-ons’ and then ‘Look and Feel’
- Once you get there, you can click on ‘Skin,’ and your new skin will be located there
- Finally, click on that, and you’ll have your skin!
Where Can I Get Kodi Skins?
If you are disappointed with the Kodi skins that you have and want to start downloading new ones, then you can find them on a variety of websites. First, the Kodi website itself hosts a lot of third-party add-ons that you can use mostly on the forums of the website.
Additionally, Kodi has Kodi builds that allow first-time users of the software to gain lots of tools, add-ons, and other issues all in one download.
Plus, you will be able to edit everything inside the download before you install it, so if you don’t want a specific feature or don’t like the look of a certain skin, you can easily discard what you don’t need and keep the rest of it. Just make sure that your needs are well met with your Kodi build, and your Kodi skins as well.
The whole point of your Kodi skins is to make things easier to get to and to make your Kodi more accessible. So make sure that your Kodi skins are going to work for you, and will ensure that you can find what you need.
After all, it is no good to have all your stuff in one place if you can’t find what you need whenever you want to watch something! Plus, it can even be fun to dive down the rabbit hole and see what types of skins you have available for you, and which ones you might want to cycle through whenever the way your entertainment looks gets a little stale.