This guide has everything you need to set up the Apple TV app on Firestick. You can also install Apple TV on other Fire TV devices, including the Fire TV Cube (Gen 1, Gen 2), Fire TV (Gen 3), Fire TV Edition – Insignia (HD/4K), Toshiba (HD/4K), and the Nebula Soundbar.
A few months ago, Californian tech giant Apple launched its new streaming service named Apple TV+ to expand its reach in the streaming business. While iTunes’ streaming library existed for a long time on Apple devices, it wasn’t open to other popular operating systems.
With the launch of Apple TV+, Apple embraced the competition and announced the official Apple TV app for a wide range of devices, including Samsung and LG Smart TVs, Sony BRAVIA, Vizio TVs, as well as several devices from the Roku and Amazon Fire TV family.
Now that Apple TV app is available on Fire TV, many Firestick users ask whether it is compatible with their devices. Since Firestick is the first Fire TV device to be on the Apple TV app’s compatibility list, you can install it without any problems.
In this guide, we will show you not only the installation process of the Apple TV app on Firestick but also the fastest and easiest way to set up the app and stream Apple’s on-demand content.
What does the Apple TV App Offer?
The Apple TV app for Firestick gives you access to a vast library of on-demand movies and shows, a rough estimate of over 100,000 to be specific.
The ever-growing streaming library also has 4K HDR content, similar to what Netflix, Prime Video, Hulu, and Disney+ offers in select markets.
Along with licensing non-original movies and TV shows, Apple has signed multi-year deals with famous Hollywood screenwriters, producers, and celebrities to produce original content for its streaming service.
At the time of this writing, the standalone Apple TV+ subscription is offering a respectable collection of Apple Original films, series, and documentaries, which includes Greyhound, Little Voice, Greatness Code, Defending Jacob, The Morning Show, Central Park, Mythic Quest: Raven’s Banquet, See, Dads, Fraggle Rock: Rock On, Ghostwriter, Here We Are, Servant, Home Before Dark, Boys State, Oprah’s Book Club, Foundation, Beastie Boys Story, The Banker, Dickinson, For All Mankind, Little America, and many more.
Since its launch, Apple TV has acquired high-profile content to keep its streaming library fresh for subscribers. The content library of Apple TV is relatively family-friendly compared to most other streaming services, which makes the service appealing to a vast majority of people.
If you separately purchase or rent movies and TV shows from iTunes, you can also access it from the Apple TV app on your Firestick.
For those who rely on closed captioning, Apple TV does offer it for most of its on-demand movies, episodic series, and documentaries. You can stream exclusive Apple Originals and select non-original content with an Apple TV+ subscription, which will cost you only $4.99/month. The subscription will vary based on your region.
Apple TV App Features
- With the Apple TV on Firestick, you get access to Apple’s original content with an Apple TV+ subscription, along with a massive collection of purchasable and rentable movies and TV shows from iTunes.
- The app gives you personalized recommendations and offers curated playlists for content discovery.
- Apple TV provides on-demand streams in up to 4K Ultra HD resolution with HDR (requires a Firestick 4K and a compatible TV that can output 4K HDR content).
- You can turn on closed captioning while playing back movies or shows on Apple TV.
- Everything is ad-free on the Apple TV app, and the Apple TV+ subscription is available at an affordable price.
How to Install Apple TV App on Firestick?
Amazon’s Fire TV is one of the first streaming platforms to receive Apple TV support. You can install Apple TV on your Firestick from the Amazon Appstore, and the following step-by-step instructions will show you the process:
- First, navigate up to the top of the Fire TV home screen and select the Search (magnifying glass) logo.
- Once you are on the search menu, press and hold the Voice button on your Fire TV Remote and say “Apple TV” to search for it. Alternatively, use the on-screen keyboard to type the app name.
- When you see instant search suggestions in the search menu, simply scroll down to select Apple TV.
- Click the Apple TV logo under Apps & Games list on the following page.
- On the Apple TV app page, click Get / Download to download the app. It will auto-install on your Firestick once the download completes.
Now that Apple TV is installed on your Firestick, you can launch it from Your Apps & Channels list on the second row of the Fire TV home screen. Click See All if the app doesn’t appear in the row. You will most definitely find the Apple TV app at the bottom of the full-view list of installed apps.
Guide to Sign up for an Apple TV+ Subscription
Apple TV+ subscription is available for a monthly fee of $4.99, at least in the United States. Here’s how you can sign for an Apple TV+ subscription to watch Apple Originals on the Apple TV app:
- Go to tv.apple.com from your preferred web browser.
- Click the Start Your Free Trial However, you should change your country from the top bar first if necessary.
- Click Continue in the following window, and enter your Apple ID and password, then click the right-arrow icon.
Note: Click Create New Apple ID if you don’t have an account and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Now enter your credit/debit card credentials and billing address, then press Continue.
Once your payment method is verified, your Apple TV+ subscription will be activated. The subscription fee will be charged after the 7-day trial period expires.
Steps to Log in to Apple TV App on Firestick
After you successfully sign up for an Apple TV+ subscription, you can log in to the Apple TV app and start streaming Apple’s original films and series on your Firestick. Just do the following:
- Launch the Apple TV app on Firestick.
- Go to the Library tab at the top of the Apple TV app, and click Sign In.
- Now click the Sign In On Mobile Device You will be given a code for the login process.
- Visit apple.com from your mobile device, enter the code displayed on the Apple TV app and click Continue.
- After that, log in with your Apple ID if you haven’t already.
Once you are logged in to the Apple TV app, click Start Watching. You can now access your iTunes purchases from the app library, as well as stream Apple Originals with your Apple TV+ subscription.
How to Use Apple TV App on Firestick
The Apple TV app on Firestick has the same interface as seen on an Apple TV device running tvOS. The app has an intuitive user interface, and you can switch between different sections of the app, which are — Watch Now, Movies, TV Shows, Library, Search, and Settings.
On the Watch Now page, you can scroll through Apple’s recommendations and curated lists, which are personalized based on what you like to watch on Apple TV.
From Movies and TV Shows, you can access a massive catalog of purchasable content from the iTunes library, as well as original on-demand content included in Apple TV+ subscription. It also shows content from other streaming services, and you will be redirected to the particular streaming service when you select something to stream.
When signed in with Apple ID, you can access your iTunes purchases from the Library section. You can also search for your favorite movies or TV shows from Search. From Settings, you can check your Apple TV+ subscription validity, enable restricted mode, turn on accessibility features, and reset the Apple TV app.
When you select an on-demand program, you will get a detailed view of the program and cast, as well as discover related content. Unfortunately, the Fire TV version of the Apple TV app doesn’t allow users to purchase content from iTunes, so you will have to rely on an Apple device or the web version of iTunes to buy or rent streamable content.
- How to Watch Hotstar on Firestick
- How to Watch Sky Sports on FireStick
- How to Watch Beachbody On Demand on FireStick
With an Apple TV+ subscription, you can stream hundreds of hours worth of exclusive on-demand content on Firestick, thanks to the availability of the official Apple TV app. You can also watch the movies and TV shows you have in your iTunes library.