Last Updated on August 23, 2020
This guide has everything you need to get Amazon Prime Video on Kodi. In this article, we will provide instructions for the latest version of Kodi. However, it should also work on previous revisions of Kodi.
Prime Video, Amazon’s video-on-demand service, is one of the oldest streaming services to this date. The service is quite popular in the United States, Canada, France, Italy, and India, thanks to the availability of regional Amazon Originals content. Prime Video is globally available as well, covering over 200 countries across the continents.
Prime Video offers thousands of movies and TV shows from premium television channels. In select countries, it has streaming rights for multiple sports content that subscribers can watch live and on-demand. Alongside the regular Prime Video subscription, you can also pay for Amazon Channels as add-ons.
Unfortunately, not every device supports Amazon Prime Video because of its DRM restrictions. For example, cheap Android boxes and TVs probably don’t come with Prime Video certification most of the time. Although you can sideload the Prime Video app, you won’t get past the login screen in some instances.
In such circumstances, Kodi is the solution to your Prime Video needs. The open-source media streaming software is available for a wide range of devices, and you can install Python-based add-ons on it. There are thousands of official and third-party video add-ons for Kodi, and you can also install Amazon Prime Video on it.
- 1 Amazon Prime on Kodi (Overview)
- 2 How to Watch Amazon Prime Video on Kodi
- 3 A Quick Tour of Amazon Prime on Kodi
- 4 Troubleshooting Tips for Amazon Prime Video Kodi Addon
- 5 Wrapping up
Amazon Prime on Kodi (Overview)
The Amazon Prime Video addon from the xLordx Repository is outdated, and it doesn’t work anymore. But, the Amazon Prime Kodi addon from Sandmann79 does work as intended.
The add-on uses InputStream.Adaptive, which simulates the Widevine DRM protocol and allows Kodi users to watch DRM-protected Prime Video streams. Please note that this add-on will require you to log in to your Prime Video account, for obvious reasons. It doesn’t give you access to the premium content for free by any means.
From Sandmann79’s Amazon Prime Video Kodi addon, you can also access and edit your watchlist and video library. The add-on also lets you export Prime Video movies and shows to your Kodi library for quicker access. It automatically imports cover arts from TVDB and TMDB sources for the Prime Video titles.
The add-on offers several playback methods as well, including the default Inputstream interface in the default Kodi player, browser, and the Android Prime Video app. HD and Full HD streams are supported only on limited Android devices.
Unlike the Amazon Prime Video addon found in the xLordx Repository, Sandmann79’s add-on works with all Amazon accounts from the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, and Japan. In countries like India, Canada, and Australia, where Prime Video is accessible only from the dedicated primevideo.com site, the add-on will also work there.
It’s worth mentioning that this add-on limits the resolution to 1088×464 for movies, while the web series/TV shows can be watched in up to 1080p resolution. 4K Ultra HD support is not available at the time of this writing.
Amazon Prime Video Kodi Addon Features
- The add-on works with the latest version of Kodi, and it can also be installed on Kodi v17.x Krypton in compatibility mode.
- You can access your Prime Video watchlist and edit it directly from the Kodi add-on.
- On supported Android hardware, you can watch Prime Video in up to 1080p Full HD quality.
- The add-on provides fallback playback options, as well as tools for closed captions.
- The Prime Video Kodi add-on works with Prime Video in all countries.
How to Watch Amazon Prime Video on Kodi
The Amazon Prime Kodi addon is unavailable in Kodi’s official add-on repository. As it’s an unofficial add-on, you will have to sideload the Sandmann79’s Kodi repository first to watch amazon prime on kodi. Make sure that you follow the steps below accordingly, because of how complicated the sideloading process is on Kodi.
#1: Enable Unknown sources on Kodi
Before sideloading the required repository on Kodi, you will have to enable the Unknown sources option from Kodi settings. Here’s how you can do it:
- Boot up Kodi on your preferred device.
- Now move to the sidebar, then click the gear icon above it. The Settings screen should appear.
- Next, scroll over to the Settings category and click the System option below it.
- Highlight the Add-ons tab in the sidebar, then go to the menu on the right and toggle the slider for Unknown sources.
- Finally, dismiss the warning prompt and save your changes by clicking Yes.
#2: Install Sandmann79’s Kodi repository
Once you enable Unknown sources, you can proceed to install Sandmann79’s Kodi repository. Before you do it, please download this repository zip file first, copy it to an external flash drive, and connect it to your device. Then, you can follow the steps below.
- Go back to Kodi’s Settings screen and click Add-ons.
- From the Add-on browser page, select the Install from zip file.
- Now choose your external drive (or the drive you have downloaded the file on) from the list of sources.
- click the sandmann79.plugins-1.0.3-leia.zip file.
Once you get the “Add-on installed” message, you can continue following the steps below to install the Prime Video Kodi add-on from the repository.
Alternatively, you can use the Git Browser to install Sandmann79’s Kodi repository easily just by his GitHub username. You can check out our guide to install Git Browser on Kodi for more information.
#3: Install the Prime Video Kodi Add-on
The following steps will guide you through the Amazon Prime Video addon installation process on Kodi:
- On the Add-on browser page, select the Install from repository
- Next, click Sandmann79s Repository Leia on the next page and select Video add-ons below the list.
- Click the Amazon VOD add-on, then click Install.
- Finally, click OK to install the required dependencies and scripts for the Amazon VOD add-on to work as intended.
When you see the “Amazon VOD Add-on installed” notification, return to the Kodi home screen. From the Add-ons section, you will be able to open the Amazon VOD (Prime Video) add-on under the Video add-ons category.
A Quick Tour of Amazon Prime on Kodi
When you launch the Amazon VOD (Prime Video) Kodi add-on for the first time, you will be redirected to its Settings page. To sign in to your Amazon account (assuming that you already have one with Prime Video subscription or Subscribe here), go to the Connection tab and click the Sign In… option.
After that, enter the email address and password associated with your Amazon account. Once you get the “Login successful” message, click OK to proceed. You should see the main screen of the add-on.
You can now browse Prime Video’s Collections and manually search for your favorite movies and TV shows from the Search option. The Watchlist option will also be accessible from the main screen. If you want to see a full list of Prime Video content in your region, click the Everything option.
Troubleshooting Tips for Amazon Prime Video Kodi Addon
- Subtitles should work out of the box without any configuration. However, if you want to change the subtitle language, then you can do it from the Player in the Kodi Settings screen. The Prime Video add-on will automatically adapt to Kodi’s default subtitle language preference.
- In case the Prime Video streams feel choppy or drop frames, go to the Inputstream Addon Settings… from the General tab in the add-on settings, then decrease the Resolution general decoder value and try again. You can also limit bandwidth usage from the same menu.
- If your experience buffering issues, then go to the add-on Settings > General, and enable try out other CDNs from the Preferred Host By default, it’s set to Auto, but you can also change it to Akamai, Limelight, Cloudfront, etc.
- The add-on doesn’t work well with VPN connections. Try disabling it in case you get connection errors to the Prime Video servers.
Most Related Articles
With Sandmann79’s Amazon VOD or Prime Video add-on, you can enjoy your regional Amazon Prime Video on Kodi. If you find our step-by-step installation guide for the Kodi add-on helpful, please leave your feedback in the comments below, and don’t forget to share it with other Kodi users!
Note that this add-on is unofficial and not associated with Amazon by any means. Hence, proceed entering your Amazon account credentials in this add-on at your own discretion.