Last Updated on April 15, 2022
The Amazon Fire Stick is a super popular method of streaming content these days. For people who don’t want to purchase a smart TV, the Fire Stick is a great alternative.
Sometimes an error will occur which will make the screen black. While this looks serious, don’t worry, it can be fixed. You must go through your troubleshooting options to fix this error.
- 1 Why is my screen black?
- 2 How to fix a black screen on Fire Stick
- 3 Final thoughts
Why is my screen black?
There are many reasons the screen may go black when using the Fire Stick. These reasons are listed below.
- Started or stopped streaming in 4K Ultra HD
- Not receiving enough power from the USB port
- Wrong TV input source
- Faulty cables
- Poor internet connectivity
- App issues
- Issues with Amazon’s servers
All of these are potential reasons why the Fire Stick’s screen may go black. We will walk through these reasons and how to resolve these issues.
How to fix a black screen on Fire Stick
Here’s what you can do if you are seeing a black screen with your Fire Stick.
1. Started or stopped streaming in 4k Ultra HD
Sometimes when you start or stop streaming in 4k ultra, it can temporarily take a bit for the stream to adjust, making your screen turn black. Sometimes you’ll wait a while, and the screen just won’t come back on its own. That’s when you should try the following steps.
- Restart the Fire Stick
- Unplug the Fire Stick and plug it back in
- Unplug and plug HDMI cables back in
- Turn on separate accessories (TV, Soundbar, etc.)
- Press and hold both the “up” button and the “rewind” button at the same time for five seconds
If the issue is with the difference in streaming quality, these options should resolve that. If it doesn’t resolve the issue, there may be another issue to consider.
2. Not receiving enough power from the USB port
Power supply issues are common problems for any type of technical device. If there is a power output issue, the screen may be black as there isn’t enough power being received for the device to work properly. Listed below are ways to resolve this problem.
- Check that all parts of the device are plugged in all the way, sometimes cables can come loose.
- Try using an HDMI extender to optimize Wi-Fi connectivity and prevent glitches in the Fire Stick software.
- Try plugging the Fire Stick into a different HDMI input. There may be something faulty with that specific
- HDMI port, causing a bad connection to the Fire Stick.
If there is an obstruction between the power source and the device, it is very likely for your screen to go black. Devices cannot function if the power source is faulty.
3. Wrong TV Input source
This is one of the most common issues that will cause a black screen when you are trying to use the Fire Stick device. This is also the easiest and quickest issue to resolve.
- Use your TV remote to see which HDMI you are connected to
- Check the TV to see which HDMI the Fire Stick is plugged into
- Use your tv remote to connect to the HDMI that your Fire Stick is plugged into
- If the screen is still black, unplug the Fire Stick from its current HDMI and plug it into a different one
- Connect your tv to whichever HDMI you plug your Fire Stick into
- Cycle through the HDMI channels to make sure the Fire Stick isn’t connected to the wrong HDMI
If the black screen issue is a result of being on the wrong HDMI channel, those steps will resolve the problem. People accidentally connect to the wrong HDMI all the time. This problem is super common.
There are a lot of things that can cause the Fire Stick to overheat. Overheating will cause all sorts of issues with the Fire Stick device including making the screen go black. Below are troubleshooting options you can go through to fix an overheating device
- Unplug your Fire Stick for ten minutes. This will give your device time to cool down.
- Evaluate the location of the Fire Stick. If the area is too cluttered, remove the clutter. If anything is resting on top of the Fire Stick, remove the obstructions.
- Use an HDMI extender to optimize Wi-Fi connection and prevent future software issues
- Power up the Fire Stick after making these changes. Once powered back on, sort through your apps and delete any apps that you don’t use
- Clear cached data
The overheating issue will be fixed with those steps. Ignoring your overheating issue can cause long-term damage to the Fire Stick, so it is best to resolve this as soon as possible. Always avoid setting anything on top of the Fire Stick or putting the Fire Stick in a crowded area.
5. Faulty Cables
Cable connection issues can also be a big cause for a black screen. If connection cables are worn out or out of place, it can severely affect your Fire Stick streaming experience. Here is what you should do in the faulty cable situation.
1. Check to make sure all cables associated with the Fire Stick are plugged in properly. This includes
- TV Cables
- Soundbar Cables
- Fire Stick USB cable
- HDMI chords
- Wi-Fi router cables
2. Check for any frayed cords
3. Shift cables around in different directions and different angles
4. Replace any cables you suspect are not working correctly
Be sure to check all cables that are associated with your streaming experience. Wear and tear on cables can be a big cause for the black screen. Sometimes the problem is the TV cables, and not the actual Fire Stick itself.
6. Poor internet connection
When streaming on the Fire Stick, having a good internet connection is extremely important. Bad internet can result in a black screen because you may be having connection problems. Here is how you check to see if your internet connection is causing your screen to be black.
- Check your router. You may need to unplug your router and plug it back in. It will take a few minutes to restore your internet connection.
- Check to see if your internet is working on a different device such as a laptop. It is best not to check on your mobile device, because your mobile device may be using data as a backup connection.
- Check online using your cellphone data to see if your internet provider is experiencing an outage.
- Make sure your internet bill has been paid.
Internet connection issues can be very frustrating when you are trying to stream your favorite movie and shows, but connection issues happen to everyone at one point or another. Some areas are more susceptible to internet outages than other areas.
7. App issues
Another issue that can cause your screen to go back while you are trying to use the Fire Stick is app issues. If the application you are trying to use is undergoing maintenance, you will not be able to stream on that app. Here is how you can check if app issues are causing your black screen.
- Close the app and open a different app to see if the issue still occurs.
- Open the app on your phone to see if the issue happens there too.
- Check for app updates, and an app that requires an update may not work.
- Restart the Fire Stick after you update your app.
- Check online to see if the app is experiencing maintenance or if the servers are down.
Sometimes an app may be under maintenance, or the servers may be down temporarily. Sometimes you just need to update the app you want to stream on. These problems are temporary and will not cause damage to your Fire Stick. If this is the issue, the screen should come back when the app is fixed.
8. Amazon server issues
Occasionally Amazon’s server may be down due to error or routine maintenance. If this is the case, you will not be able to use your Fire Stick until the servers are back up.
- Check online to see if others are experiencing server issues
- Check the Amazon website on a different device to see if the site is down
- Wait it out
If Amazon is experiencing server issues, there is nothing you can do to change that. You will just have to wait until the servers come back up.
There are many reasons why you may be experiencing a black screen while you are trying to stream on your Fire Stick. Before assuming your device is broken, it is important to go through the troubleshooting process. The issue may just be a minor problem that needs a quick and simple fix.